UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Aug 2018, 12:55 pm   #21
Mooly
Octode

Default Re: JCB batteries

I would actually call their 200ma low drain test pretty severe for a zinc carbon type cell, particularly in AA size. The high drain 1000ma test is meaningless for zinc carbon because the technology simply isn't designed for that level of current draw in that cell size.

A flawed methodology imo which skews the results in an extreme way.
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 1:20 pm   #22
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by turretslug View Post
Japan (notably) does have an interesting corporate culture where a concern like Hitachi might be involved in the manufacture of everything from microprocessors to container ships
Yes - a Hitachi vacuum cleaner really will be made by Hitachi, as will a Hitachi excavator.

Yamaha continue to be about the biggest maker of musical instruments in the world, making motor bikes and quads as an important sideline. But they really are Yamaha, not third-party products bought-in with a space for for Yamaha to stick the label.

Disappointing about JCB batteries, one would like to think that at least they had vetted the real manufacturer carefully, as a product-maker that they were proud to stick the JCB brand to.
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 8:38 pm   #23
emeritus
Dekatron

I remember that Flying Bomb batteries were often supplied with cheap transistors in the 1960's , but I don't remember seeing any on sale separately. Most local shops only sold Ever Ready or Vidor, while the cycle shops sold Ray-O-Vac (cased in steel, with a guarantee to replace any cycle lamp damaged by them if they leaked).
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 9:01 pm   #24
1100 man
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
All we need now then is 'Flying Bomb' branded diggers, and we've come full circle!
I couldn't resist the mention of 'flying bomb', a name I haven't seen since I was a kid. There was a fantastic shop called '2J Sound' in Bishop's Stortford that sold all manner of components, electronic junk, disco equipment etc. It was on my walk from school into town so I was a regular visitor.
There was a large box of assorted 'flying bomb' batteries from which, by careful searching, you could find some that hadn't leaked!! They would often power a radio for whole minutes at a time before going flat. Mind you, I think they were only 1P each. I used to get through quite a few!!
So the name doesn't instil confidence in me!!

Cheers
Nick
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 9:02 pm   #25
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I've been using JCB-branded AA and AAA cells [bought from my local 'The Range' store] for a while - they're cheap, and work just fine in those applications like the outdoor 'wireless' temperature/humidity-sensor, the thing on the oil-tank that sends me daily readings-of-fullness, the old-style analog clock in the kitchen and the backup for my bedside clock-radio.

Of course all of these are covered by my replace-before-it-fails schedule, with the removed batteries being hurled into the shrubbery - so I can't comment on how JCB batteries fail in-extremis.
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 9:07 pm   #26
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
I remember that Flying Bomb batteries were often supplied with cheap transistors in the 1960's , but I don't remember seeing any on sale separately. Most local shops only sold Ever Ready or Vidor, while the cycle shops sold Ray-O-Vac (cased in steel, with a guarantee to replace any cycle lamp damaged by them if they leaked).
There was a trader in Wellington [Shropshire] market in the late-1960s/early-1970s that sold Flying-Bomb PP3s in packs-of-ten for a really good price.

When my late father visited Wellington to go to the bank, I'd happily get a lift in the parental Humber Super Snipe, and spend my pocket-money on a few packs of these - which I'd then sell-on to my schoolfriends at a tidy profit!
Old 26th Aug 2018, 11:00 am   #27
Tractionist
Heptode

I've been using JCB re-chargeables [from Home Bargains] for some time now i.e. in various fully sorted tranny's. To-date I've been very impressed by a) price b) visual build quality, and c) performance.

Other than using, I haven't run any load or discharge tests - but so far I'm very happy with them.
Old 30th Aug 2018, 6:09 pm   #28
saxmaniac
Heptode

Perhaps JCB think people want to buy into the lifestyle. You've got the new digger on the drive and now want the aftershave and batteries branded the same. Sorry my little joke
Closed Thread