UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Apr 2016, 11:01 pm   #1
kellys_eye
Octode

Default Thermionic valve construction

Does anyone know of a website where I can get images of genuine thermionic valves (some of the more common versions, diode, triode, EL83 etc) in their 'de-constructed' state? Hopefully with dimensions?

I've found many sites that show the basic working construction but nothing that shows the actual parts in a dis-assembled form that is readily identifiable.

Reason for wanting the info - I would like to create Sketchup drawings of typical devices such that each part is drawn as a separate 'layer' making it possible to view the parts from the 'inside to the outside' and also rotate the drawing to view it from any angle, zoom in etc etc.

Ok, no practical application for what I'm intending to do but it may prove to be a reasonably good looking (maybe fun?) educational tool.

TIA

Dave
Old 11th Apr 2016, 9:02 am   #2
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Default Re: Thermionic valve construction

The parts used to build an EF80 are shown here -

http://www.r-type.org/articles/art-019.htm

I don't know whether Mullard produced similar items for other valves, I have one of these EF80 'kits', but have never seen any others.

Andy
Old 11th Apr 2016, 10:42 am   #3
kellys_eye
Octode

That's a good example, thanks Andy. I can extrapolate the dimensions of the internal parts from the known size of the finished envelope.

Even now I am amazed at how intricate the construction was and the practical uses to which the finished product was put. Far from being 'old technology' it is just disappointing there aren't more in use today!

I'll do a trial construction in Sketchup using the details in your link.
Old 11th Apr 2016, 12:26 pm   #4
mark pirate
Dekatron

This film shows component parts and assembly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dErs...&nohtml5=False

Mark
Old 11th Apr 2016, 2:57 pm   #5

Break a non working one and have a look?

Old 11th Apr 2016, 3:06 pm   #6
Jeremy M0RVB
Hexode

I have a couple gone to air I can cull if you want some measurements and pics.

Jeremy
Old 11th Apr 2016, 3:21 pm   #7
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

For an EF80 I wouldn't even worry about breaking a working example - put two in a drawer and look next day and there will now be ten!
Andy
Old 11th Apr 2016, 4:22 pm   #8

Put a request into 'parts wanted' for dead valves. No need for expensive packaging, but I think they will all survive. Seems a shame to wreck a working valve, even if it is one of the 'lowly' types. EF80's work well at audio to (oops, that's put the price up from 1p to 10's of pence).

Closed Thread