UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jan 2014, 2:07 pm   #1
0verload
Retired Dormant Member

Default Reversed polarity on Avo 7

I have an Avo model 7 which was given to me some time ago and when I came to check it out I found that on the voltage setting the polarity is reversed.
One thing I will point out is that there are no batteries in it at the moment, and I don't know whether this would be the cause of the problem.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Old 25th Jan 2014, 2:26 pm   #2
threeseven
Octode

Default Re: Reversed polarity on Avo 7

The battery has no effect on anything but the resistance ranges. Assuming the leads are connected correctly, have you tried pushing the polarity reverse switch to see what its effect is?
Old 25th Jan 2014, 5:06 pm   #3
0verload
Retired Dormant Member

Many thanks, threeseven. Looks like it was pilot error. Just tried it again, and all OK. I'd possibly been at the Wood's when I tried it
Thanks, anyway.
Eric
Old 25th Jan 2014, 5:55 pm   #4
Leon Crampin
Octode

The AVO 7 does not have a polarity reverse button - it's a div. 2.

If it really is wrong, then the meter is incorrectly wired internally. A check on AC will reveal whether just the movement is reversed or whether some bodger has had a major re-wiring experience and reversed the lot.

Leon.
Old 26th Jan 2014, 8:21 pm   #5
pmmunro
Octode

Threeseven,

In general you are quiet corrrect in stating that the 1.5V cell and batteries in "conventional" Avometers have no part to play in voltage and current measurements. In fact it is revealing to see in advertisements, e.g. on eBay, a claim that the seller has not been able to test the meter for a lack of batteries. Either the seller has no idea how to use the meter or doesn't want to test it.

However, the Model 7 uses the 1.5V cell to apply a slight bias on alternating voltage ranges as this gives improved linearity. The effect is not great, but measurable.

PMM
Old 26th Jan 2014, 9:23 pm   #6
threeseven
Octode

Interesting, thanks PMM, I wasn't aware of that. Although the lack of a battery wouldn't prevent the meter from reading in this case.