UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Sep 2016, 5:13 pm   #21
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Source of cheap plastic/air variable tuning capacitors?

There are a couple of interesting (to me, anyway) books :
Voice of the Crystal
Instruments of Amplification

The first is how to make the components for a crystal set using no commerical electronic components. So you make the tuning coil, fixed and variable capacitors, the detector (point contact on a crystal of course) and headphones.

The second is similar, but for amplfiying devices -- the earpiece/carbon microphone audio amplifier, simple triodes, (copper oxide) transistors. The devices described are, I will admit, not good performers, but they are intended as a starting point.

Anyway, Voice of the Crystal descibes at least one home-made plastic dielectric tuning capacitor.
Old 14th Sep 2016, 5:33 pm   #22
MrBungle
Dekatron

Excellent - those look really good! Thanks for posting the titles.

Crystal Sets to Sideband has a section on such things as well: http://www.qrparci.org/wa0itp/chap4.pdf
Old 14th Sep 2016, 5:44 pm   #23
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Do you need more details on said books? I know where mine are, so I can look up the author, etc.
Old 14th Sep 2016, 5:46 pm   #24
G4XWDJim
Octode

What physical size are you looking for. I have several two and three gangers removed from valve portable radios and bigger. Let me know the size and I'll have a search. Presumably 365 to 500 pf.

Jim
Old 14th Sep 2016, 6:11 pm   #25
MrBungle
Dekatron

Ideally after a dual gang ~300-400pF unit with end stops to start with. Vernier/reduction drive not important as this is for doing frequency sweeps (which are nigh on impossible on my Marconi 2019A). I've got a dual 200pF one extracted from a military ATU which I'm using both gangs in parallel at the moment with switched inductors to control range but it isn't ideal as it has no end stops and the thing is knackered.

The ones that spectrum communications are nearly spot on to be honest so i will probably go down that route. Thanks for the offer anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
Do you need more details on said books? I know where mine are, so I can look up the author, etc.
Have found details on Amazon fortunately. Will see if I can locate a copy. There are a few at a silly price so far.
Old 14th Sep 2016, 11:07 pm   #26
greg_simons
Octode

Mr bungle,
If you're really stuck I have about a dozen of these all sizes that came in a job lot of junk, they're new unused.
Greg.
Closed Thread