UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jul 2016, 7:26 pm   #1
Murphy Maniac
Hexode

Default Set-top Aerial

I have just obtained a new toy for my toy cupboard which may be of general interest. It is a small set-top aerial box containing a tunable ferrite rod aerial, switchable for use on either Long or Medium Wave. It is powered by a small 9V battery. Two wander plugs, one for the Aerial socket and one for the Earth socket on the back of the set in use and that is all that is needed to replace a long outside wire aerial and suck in lots of stations. Brilliant on the workbench. If anyone else is interested, I believe they will be available at the next Golborne.
Old 23rd Jul 2016, 8:29 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Set-top Aerial

I should have filed a patent: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...read.php?t=579
Old 24th Jul 2016, 12:26 am   #3
Murphy Maniac
Hexode

You should indeed have done so, it is a brilliant idea and works so well...
Old 24th Jul 2016, 10:31 am   #4
Andrew2
Nonode

Back in 1995 I had a 'MW booster' design published in SWM. It was very simple - a tuned ferrite rod aerial fed (directly from hot end of tuned cct) to G1 of a dual gate fet. G2 had a bias pot to adjust the gain.
Drain load was 2.2k and the source R was 560r.
Output was taken from the drain via a 0.1 cap and in this case fed a coupling coil which could be attached to the end of a portable radio, coupling by transformer action.
To help things along, a small feedback winding on the rod was fed via a 0.1uf from the source.
In use, once the required station was tuned and peaked, the gain pot would be advanced to just short of oscillation. The effect was dramatic and the tuning became very sharp. At the time I originally built it, there were a couple of naughty music stations that were pretty poor copy here in Cheshire, but with this thing adjusted for maximum smoke they came in like the proverbial ton of bricks.
September 1995, don't know if it's online anywhere.
Old 25th Jul 2016, 8:35 pm   #5
mike g3zii
Retired Dormant Member

This is it. I developed this from a unit I made to receive the 80 meter ham band
without all the hash from switch mode rubbish and digi-junk, then I thought I'd try it on the broadcast bands. it has worked out very well. it runs on 6 AA batts
at less than 3mA including the LED. it's a ferrite rod aerial tuned across
160-1700 Khz amplified by a bf964 dual gate fet. the signal is choke capacitor coupled out to the radio on a screened lead.it's good with my tired old wartime civvy set which usually needs a 50 foot outside wire to get it to do much.
it lives in a 5 x 4 inch plastic box.
I am just getting the paperwork finished then I may start producing them in kit form,also ready built.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a a pic 2.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	127813   Click image for larger version

Name:	active ant 1.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	127814  
Closed Thread