UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Oct 2018, 10:23 am   #21
lesmw0sec
Octode

Default Re: Rejector or rejecter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
Additionally, us RF-types talk of stages like amplifier, tuner, receiver, transmitter, filter, multiplier, mixer - but also of an oscillator a modulator and a detector.

The one thing consistent about the English language is its inconsistency.
A bit like 'standards' for connectors, formats and anything to do with software then!
Old 17th Oct 2018, 11:16 am   #22
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

An implementation of a physical property tends to take -or. Thus; resistance, inductance, capacitance, reluctance give us resistor, inductor, capacitor, reluctor. Transistor is merely a contraction of transfer-resistor and thus obeys. I believe these were American in origin, superseding the old British practice of using the quantity itself to name the component e.g. 'fit a 100 ohm resistance.' Impedance got left behind, as I am not aware of the generalised passive device *impedor. But we have transformer, converter, rectifier since there are no properties *transformance, *convertance, *rectifiance.

Terms in common usage outside electronics carry over their own history and rules and don't necessarily obey this principle.
Old 17th Oct 2018, 11:59 am   #23
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

My only comment about all of this is that I've felt for many years that many American Spellings -e.g. color, flavor, & thru, to name but three, are more logical than the English ones.
Old 17th Oct 2018, 12:08 pm   #24
AC/HL
Dekatron

That's British, not English. As they say, "two countries divided by a common language"
Old 21st Oct 2018, 12:12 pm   #25
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
My only comment about all of this is that I've felt for many years that many American Spellings -e.g. color, flavor, & thru, to name but three, are more logical than the English ones.
Many of these were originally English - cf many old Dickens' books.
Rejector for me!
Interesting that condensers became capacitors in the 1960's here, but not when they were used in car ignition.