UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Oct 2018, 9:19 pm   #1
JesseVMierle
Retired Dormant Member

Default "Knocking" sound problem with functional Grundig TK 141

For some time I've been maintaining a Grundig TK 141 'Executive' Reel to Reel, cleaned it, replaced belts, fixed some mechanical problems such as the 'tape holding arm' and it works partially great.

except for rewinding backwards (A common problem with most reel to reel I noticed whilst being new to vintage audio) but the main problem is when switching it on and putting it on 'play' the device starts making a deep loud bass noise.

So I've removed the top casing and I noticed the speaker 'dopping' vigorously in and outwards, it does play tape, however the bass disturbs the audio making it sort of Incomprehensible, I don't know why it does, so I'm hoping someone knows and helps me with it, since I really would like to it function properly.

I do have another TK 141 that's in very rough shape that's better to use it for spare parts then to restore it as I don't have the resources to do so. So if there's something that has to be replaced, I've got a backup.

Thanks in advance.
Old 19th Oct 2018, 11:28 am   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: "Knocking" sound problem with functional Grundig TK 141

Oscillations - probably dirty contacts on the rec-playback multi contact switch.
Old 19th Oct 2018, 11:59 am   #3
Andrew2
Nonode

Default Re: "Knocking" sound problem with functional Grundig TK 141

A second vote for a dirty rec/play c/o switch. Very common.