UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jan 2013, 1:32 pm   #21
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips 17TG100U first light

Hello Mark,
I think your TG100 receiver has done very little service. The focus slider reduced in value giving lack of height and low brilliance within a couple of years of use. Nice to find such a clean example. You may discover that a couple of the capacitors in the linearity feedback circuit have increased slightly in value providing of course they are not in any way leaky, 20meg will put it slightly out.
Very few stock faults on these Philips receivers other than the 2.2/2.7m resistor feeding the triode section of the sound output amp/output PCL83. It goes O/C as mentioned. The other very common one was O/C frame deflection coils giving a wavy frame collapse. They are resin potted and replacements were the familiar open type. They have odd resistance values and only the correct Philips ones will work. Regards, John.
Old 20th Jan 2013, 4:29 pm   #22
AC/HL
Dekatron

That focus pot was one of the perennial favourites in the PT help page I seem to remember. If you haven't tried one, a new PCL82 may help with the frame lin.
Old 20th Jan 2013, 5:53 pm   #23
mark pirate
Dekatron

Thanks for the info John, duly noted, other than three replacement caps, a twiddle with the presets and a dose of Servisol, this set has been a breeze, I hope I don't get a problem with the scan coils though!

Bill, I have not changed any valves so far, but I will try another PCL82 if I can find one in my stocks.
The set has had a few valves replaced in it's life, there is a Mazda and a Pinnacle among the Mullards, I expect further improvements can be made by replacing some of them.

Mark
Old 20th Jan 2013, 8:09 pm   #24
thermionic
Heptode

Hi Mark.

What a find, that chassis is gleaming! I have the Stella version of your set, but the fringe version. I had a few problems with my frame stage in this thread - https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=41065 .

I only had a few black pitch capacitors in my set, the rest being those green 'mustards', which all proved ok. Since the restoration of mine, the lopty has failed, so beware!

SimonT.
Old 20th Jan 2013, 9:10 pm   #25
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
What a find, that chassis is gleaming!
Hi Simon, I am hoping the LOPT will be ok, as this set has been indoors all it's life, there should be no damp issues to worry about.

The chassis has not been cleaned at all, that is how it came
When I next open it up, I will make it look as good as the cabinet.

Mark
Old 21st Jan 2013, 12:13 pm   #26
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Hi Mark, i am trying to restore one of these sets. Just above the boost cap there are a couple more high voltage caps side by side. Could you please tell me the values of these in you set? Cheers, Malc.
Old 21st Jan 2013, 1:57 pm   #27
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
Could you please tell me the values of these in you set?
Hi Malc, I can go one better, send me your Email via PM, and I will send you the Philips manual for your set.

Mark
Old 21st Jan 2013, 2:07 pm   #28
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Cheers Mark, PM sent
Old 26th Jan 2013, 2:51 pm   #29
mark pirate
Dekatron

A sound problem with the set has found it back on the bench, I was happily watching Z cars when I noticed some sound distortion, this was more noticeable with music, so I switched off and tried the set again an hour later, the sound was barely audible, Yes you guessed it, the 2.7 meg resistor has gone o/c!

While it is on the bench I have decided to check all valves by substitution & clean all the valve holders and pins, as I have noticed some crackling when they are rocked in their sockets.

I am hoping to sort a couple of small problems, there is a slight buzz on the sound and the top linearity could be improved, any hints?

Mark
Old 26th Jan 2013, 3:19 pm   #30
Steve_P
Dekatron

Read here for the Linearity problem.

http://85.92.85.233/forum/forum/showthread.php?t=41065

The post at the end of page 1 in particular.

What sort of buzz on the sound. It may be fine tuning that's a bit out, or the IF stages being slightly out of alignment.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 26th Jan 2013, 5:28 pm   #31
mark pirate
Dekatron

Thanks Steve, I have tried another PCL82, this has improved the linearity, but I don't have a ECH83 to see if a further improvement is possible.

As for the buzz on sound, this has now gone, it seems a new 2.7 meg resistor and a thorough clean of all the valve holders & valve pins, including the tuner, has done the trick

I have been watching it for the last hour and all seems well, so will refit the back and see how well she runs over an evenings viewing, now to make a start on my Pam 600F....

Mark
Old 26th Jan 2013, 7:09 pm   #32
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark pirate View Post
I don't have a ECH83 to see if a further improvement is possible.
Is that correct? I thought the ECH83 was a specially selected ECH81 for car radio's. An ECH81 has the same pin connections but maybe you will need to try several.

Rich
Old 26th Jan 2013, 7:29 pm   #33
mark pirate
Dekatron

Hi Rich, Yes it is correct (well it is a Philips ) I tried a ECH81, but it made the hold very critical, I will keep an eye out for a new ECH83.

The linearity is better than it was, so fitting a new PCL82 was worthwhile.
The set is now back together and I am happy with it for now, I have a lot of vintage material on my PVR to watch over the next few evenings.

I really want to get a second Aurora for the sets I use, at the moment I have to move it between the house & the workshop.

Mark
Old 27th Jan 2013, 10:23 pm   #34
Maarten
Dekatron

I can confirm the ECH83 being used in continental Philips designs as well. The application may have been quite critical for such a tube to be needed.
Old 28th Jan 2013, 10:50 am   #35
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
I can confirm the ECH83 being used in continental Philips designs as well.
We live and learn!!

Rich
Old 28th Jan 2013, 10:59 am   #36
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Plessey also in the U.K. and others. Very reliable. J.
Old 5th Feb 2016, 4:17 pm   #37
pastyboy
Hexode

Hi guys we all know the lopt's are terrible in this range of sets, my 17TG100U gives a line whistle and eht if we take the eht rect out (whistle still there with diode in) but also there seems to be some smoke coming from the tx, with the diode in its heaters don't appear to be coming up. I have 21/306 model working but don't fancy killing that tx by swapping them !

Does anyone know of any rewinders still going or anywhere that may have one.
Old 5th Feb 2016, 4:49 pm   #38
McMurdo
Dekatron

Looks a nice watcheable set compared to the 9in screens that have me squinting after an hour. Well done for finding a set that obviously wanted to live! I've got the similar-looking Murphy V410 sitting here at work, waiting for attention. Maybe one day!
Old 5th Feb 2016, 5:06 pm   #39
FERNSEH
Dekatron

These were the sets we rented out when the customer lived far away from the shop. We didn't want to lose the customer but didn't wish to be back and forwards doing repairs. In the old days one service call per year was regarded as super reliable. As well as the excellent reliability the 17TG100 always displayed first class pictures. 405 line TV at it's best.

DFWB.
Old 6th Feb 2016, 11:45 am   #40
thermionic
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastyboy View Post
Hi guys we all know the lopt's are terrible in this range of sets, my 17TG100U...

Does anyone know of any rewinders still going or anywhere that may have one.

Hi Stu.

Have a chat with Mike Barker at RWB if you're going on Sunday. He would be happy to rewind if for you I'm sure, and will do an excellent job as well.

Cheers. SimonT