UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl NVCF), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Old 19th Feb 2021, 10:09 pm   #21
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Amateur radio licence single exam to full

Done, thanks for flagging it up.
SiriusHardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2021, 11:31 am   #22
murphyv310
Dekatron

Completed the survey as well and left some comments,
murphyv310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2021, 12:26 pm   #23
GMB
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
The shift to it being done in clubs etc would be her idea of Hell..........If this goes ahead I might finally be able to persuade her to do the exam, it would be really handy for us to be able to use AR from time to time. She's actually quite happy to use PMR446 radios to keep me on an extended lead when we are together-but-apart at places like National Trust properties and big museums / airshows etcetera, but those radios do have limited range so it would be good to be able to hand her something a bit more powerful.
This is also my story - except we have beaten you to it. One of the first when RSGB announced the new online exam scheme. But without me to interpret the books it would not have worked.
GMB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2021, 5:19 pm   #24
Nicola_Jayne
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianFletcher View Post
Terrible idea. The staggered timing of the old license system allows a period of experience to be built by working station etc. It also allows for mentoring from other hams and amateur radio clubs. Iím all for encouraging new blood into the hobby but The RSGB is clearly in the final death spasms of its ever declining membership

I just filled in the survey and made my objection known.
despite the fact there are people who have got to full in three weeks under the current system ?
Nicola_Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2021, 5:32 pm   #25
Nicola_Jayne
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmw0sec View Post
Given that the much vaunted 3 tier system did little to encourage either technical advancement or good operating procedure, we might just as well go straight back to the old RAE, without the requirement for morse. Do away with the first two stages completely, thus ensuring that only those with a serious dedication towards a licence would bother.
funnily enough a lot of the poor operating procedure I hear is from callsigns which are likely to be RAE holders,

i'm unsure why you think the three step system did little to encourage technical advancement (and oddly enough often those saying this do so from behind their shiny multi- thousand GBP radios, attached toa commercially made antenna via a radio fooling unit, especially when the foundation did ( and may well return to ) have practicals and the Intermediate practicals were a feature until thedecision made over remote invigilation to drop the practicals in the light of 2019 syllabus .

As others have pointed out it was possible to sit the RAE as a 'private candidate' and that is contained no practical assesments ...
Nicola_Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2021, 6:56 pm   #26
Radio Wrangler

The purpose of all vintages of the RAE is to screen people, to stop those without enough basic knowledge to keep out of trouble, getting on the air.

Thereafter, the more you learn of the technical aspects of radio stuff, the better your results will be. The more you learn of propagation characteristics, the slicker your operating procedures etc etc. It's self-examining and absolutely proof against cheating. No exam fees, no waiting.

David