UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Aug 2021, 3:08 pm   #1
mancunian69
Pentode

Default Pye MM

Hi all,

The next set I have for resto is a Pye MM sent to me by the same customer as the HMV 501 that I restored earlier this year.

Anyone who has ever worked on these will no doubt tell you that they are an abosolute pig to work on. It must have taken me all afternoon to figure how to get the 2 part chassis out.

However, once out it is relatively easy to work on, and, unlike the HMV, all parts are easily accessable,

Now, I have replaced most of the caps and resistors on the main tag board and a few others too, but:

There are a couple of caps which I need some advice on. Namely, the rectangular square section types. I have attached an image of one of them.

This one has 3 terminals and no identification marks at all other than the value and voltage rating.

Can I assume it is a regular non polarised cap but having an earth shielding around it. If that is the case if I replace it with a modern poly cap is it going to cause any issues?

Thanks in advance

Michael.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210829_113711220.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	240276  
Old 30th Aug 2021, 10:04 am   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye mm

Does the set correspond to the MM in the service data "up top"? If so which capacitor is it? There doesn't appear to be any 1.5uF in there.....

Whatever, it's AC rated so definitely non polarised!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 30th Aug 2021, 4:38 pm   #3
PJL
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye mm

The usual problem with these is distorted tuning capacitor frame and disintegrating knobs as they were made of Mazak. Are yours OK?
Old 30th Aug 2021, 6:41 pm   #4
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye MM

The block capacitor in question could be a 1uF and a 0.5uF, the top tag being the common ground, the next tag down being a 0.5uF that's connected to the junction of V1's g2 potential divider, the bottom tag a 1uF that's connected to V2's cathode and it's cathode bias resistor etc.

Lawrence.
Old 4th Sep 2021, 5:35 pm   #5
mancunian69
Pentode

Default Re: Pye MM

Cheers guys. Over the last few days I have managed to figure out from the schematic that the 1.5uF stamped on the can is the combined value of the 2 caps inside. 1uF and 0.5uF.

These have now been replaced with separate poly items.

So, now on to my next issue.
The set powers up fine and has no hum. However, I can only receive Gold at the top of MW band, below which there is nothing, and nothing on LW too. I need clues on what to check next.

The chassis has some capacitor/inductor units in a sealed cans by the looks of it. Also, according to trader sheet, there is no alignment procedure available, just the adjustment of C22. I have tried this, but makes no difference to reception, only volume level which I have adjusted to max.

Any ideas?

Michael.
Closed Thread