UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2019, 10:53 am   #1
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Default BBC website page on their TV idents

From the "Bat's Wings" to 2013; clips of all the idents used: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25168633

"Nostalgia isn't what it used to be"!
Old 24th May 2019, 11:41 am   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: BBC website page on their TV idents

I seem to remember that the paint pot with horizontally falling twos, which has recently been revived, was originally a sort of revenge for the two (featured) with horizontally falling paint.

By the way, a fairly extensive set of idents (with pictures) can be seen at http://www.meldrum.co.uk/mhp/identzone/index.html. Elsewhere on the site are also a multitude of test cards.
Old 24th May 2019, 11:41 am   #3
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Very nice I add.
Old 25th May 2019, 3:40 pm   #4
McMurdo
Dekatron

Nice link, but a shame how obviously the BBC accent has slowly degraded year by year into regional accents that are not universally intelligible.
Old 26th May 2019, 2:24 am   #5
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

I don't know about 'degraded', McMurdo - they certainly did it to avoid the 'metropolitan London-centric nonsense' jibe!

However, I do find that BBC TV is not worth watching in the main. I was so angry when there was a fine programme idea advertised in the paper on industrial revolution production which turned out to be a shouty presenter introducing chefs trying to make scythe blades.

Cue much 'human interest' with 'I can't do this!' from people manifestly incompetent for the task at hand, when what I'd tuned in for was expert craftspeople showing their skill and experience.

Turned off, wrote a complaint letter, went on the BBC Archive and watched a 1964 Attenborough about the Zambezi - talking intelligently to the camera, coupled with sensitive anthropological footage. Dumbing down ain't in it...

That's not to imply commercial TV is worth watching. I cannot stand adverts. Thank goodness for BBC radio!
Old 26th May 2019, 6:30 am   #6
Radio Wrangler

And there was me thinking they'd just performed another step-down in the intelligence of their R2 programmes with the departure of Simon Mayo.

I find the repetition of advertising campaigns to be a form of aversion therapy. The more repetitions there are, the more desperate the company behind them seems to be, and the more overpriced their products must be to pay for the adverts. The BBC is a haven away from this stuff.

The BBC comes over as very competent in its lower layers, yet very incompetent in its upper ones. Is it a smooth transition? or is there an abrupt step?

There was a very senior German officer who, after WW1, described the British army as "Lions led by donkeys". Is this a general British trait? because the same pattern can be seen across many well-known British companies.

The Batwiings logo looked interesting, but did have a disquieting feel. It seemed classy, though.

I think their idents have generally been excellent and enjoyed looking back through them. At the time they were used, I found the transition to the waterfall of figure twos into the paint to be an excellent joke. It made the BBC look like it could laugh at itself.

I didn't know it was the work of the same people who did channel 4's ident. That also has a sense of humour. Great work.

David
Old 29th May 2019, 5:09 pm   #7
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

The original "Batwings" ident looks quite sinister, like something straight out of '1984', or the Eye of Sauron.

I saw the original short video clip with all the BBC One idents from the Batwings to the present day, but I would have liked it to have included a similar rundown of the BBC 2 idents, as they were often quite funny / quirky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo
the BBC accent has slowly degraded year by year into regional accents that are not universally intelligible
Not just the BBC, for a very long time Channel 4 had what I can only describe as a fetish for link personnel with fairly strong North East accents. (Before anyone takes umbrage, look where I'm from).
Old 29th May 2019, 7:56 pm   #8
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Way nay I could doon a broown!
Old 3rd Jun 2019, 2:24 pm   #9
Brettski
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bulgaria View Post
However, I do find that BBC TV is not worth watching in the main. I was so angry when there was a fine programme idea advertised in the paper on industrial revolution production which turned out to be a shouty presenter introducing chefs trying to make scythe blades.
I had looked forward to the industrial revolution program too ! it was Turned off after a couple of mins.

There is a lot to be said for my Freeview recorder. Bye Bye adverts.

I am rather tired of the Channel four Idents they use these days. Is it me or are the idents with the Dog and the purple box/robot thing getting on for 20 years old? I understand the need to relate to the younger generation, but I think it makes a Billion pound company look amateurish, the BBC idents always look fit for purpose. I still tingle when watching past BBC xmas idents etc on youtube. Happy days indeed.

My vote is for BBC3, but they seem to be lacking new material of late.

Brett .
Old 7th Jun 2019, 3:47 pm   #10
LukeG83
Hexode

On the subject of idents, is there a reason why TV channels no longer use a clock in between programmes, for example when introducing the news?

I seem to recall with the introduction of digital TV it was claimed that the signal was slightly delayed vs. analogue signals and so the clocks were scrapped (although I may have made this up).

Now we all watch digital, perhaps a clock ident will return?
Old 26th Jun 2019, 9:17 am   #11
whiskas
Octode

Remember when the local ITV stations had a live presenter introducing the TV programmes?
That made the interface to the TV station more personable, I wonder why that stopped?
Now you only get a voice over job - a robot could do it.
As usual the old ways are usually best..
Old 26th Jun 2019, 11:35 am   #12
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskas View Post
Now you only get a voice over job.
Usually while the credits are squeezed into an unreadable window in the corner.
Old 26th Jun 2019, 4:20 pm   #13
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeG83 View Post
On the subject of idents, is there a reason why TV channels no longer use a clock in between programmes, for example when introducing the news?
I suspect it came about in part as a result of the ubiquity of VCRs and PVRs and non-realtime watching.

Indeed, sometime in the mid-1970s I'd recorded some late-night horror-movies then when I watched them back-to-back I suddenly realised it was dawn outside despite the news-summary at the end of the last-watched movie saying it was now half-past-midnight and wishing us goodnight.
Old 26th Jun 2019, 4:41 pm   #14
LukeG83
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskas View Post
Remember when the local ITV stations had a live presenter introducing the TV programmes?
That made the interface to the TV station more personable, I wonder why that stopped?
Now you only get a voice over job - a robot could do it.
As usual the old ways are usually best..
Colin Weston was a favourite on Granada. And, of course, Charles Foster. Granada stopped in-vision announcements in the late 1990's (think 1996) - which I understand was late compared to other companies. It probably stopped when Leeds took over from Manchester for continuity.
Old 28th Jun 2019, 9:35 am   #15
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeG83 View Post

I seem to recall with the introduction of digital TV it was claimed that the signal was slightly delayed vs. analogue signals and so the clocks were scrapped (although I may have made this up).

Now we all watch digital, perhaps a clock ident will return?
I doubt it. There are time differences (couple of seconds) between some HD channels and their SD versions. Also different transmission methods (Freeview, cable, satellite, online live streaming...) are likely to introduce further delays that differ by method. There can even be slight delays and differences between different TVs and set-top boxes.

For normal viewing none of that matters as it's only a few seconds. But for precise time it obviously does.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread