UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Aug 2017, 7:02 pm   #1
Davezs6avm
Retired Dormant Member

Default HMV cabinet damage

I picked up this HMV, it says Model 5127 on the back. I suspect yet another export model
Any ideas as to how to sort these scratches, apart for re-veneering. There are a few scratches on the top as well, and I don't want to loose the pristine HMV Logo, which is really in good shape

Kind regards, Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170816_155119 (1).jpg
Views:	253
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	148016  
Old 16th Aug 2017, 7:08 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: HMV

You can make them less obvious by darkening the colour with a scratch pen, which you can buy from hardware and DIY shops - basically a dark brown fibre tipped pen. You could also try filling in the missing bits of veneer with wood filler. Re-veneering is the only way to make a good job of it though.
Old 16th Aug 2017, 7:17 pm   #3
Davezs6avm
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: HMV

Thanks for the tip Paul, I will try the pen thing and see what it looks like. As mentioned, I don't what to loose the HMV logo on the top of the cabinet, its in immaculate condition. I wonder if there is a a solution to save that. I was thinking of masking it and then sanding the Veneer and then try to match the colour, but I think that will be difficult. So I'll try then pen thing
I am re-veneering the front so at least that will look great
Old 16th Aug 2017, 11:28 pm   #4
martiR2R
Hexode

Default Re: HMV cabinet damage

Try Liberon wax sticks, available in a range of shades. Always start off with a shade or two lighter than you think, you can then darken it if needed.

Regards

Martin
Old 20th Aug 2017, 1:00 pm   #5
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: HMV cabinet damage

A tip from down under:

Get an Almond nut (that's right, the type you eat). Crack it in half to expose the off white nut substance. Peel back any of the thin darker outer husk. Use the nut as a polishing stick with pressure along the scratches. The nut material has a very slight abrasive property and polishes the scratched edges and the oil from the nut penetrates the edges and it will make the scratches magically disappear. (unless they are deep gashes). It is an old trick used by furniture polishers and it works on French polished and also polyurethane coated cabinets as well. You'll save on "scratch pens" and other commercial products that don't work as well and you'll get to eat some almonds too.
Closed Thread