UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Old 22nd Oct 2017, 6:07 pm   #401
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: Radio 4 198 sibilance

I've been fixing a Bush VHF41 with terrible instability problems this afternoon. Got LW to work, the speaker cone was rattling loose on its centre membrane.
So I glued that, left it to set whilst I re-capped the can...
Turned it on and it sounded horrible, even with the volume down to stop the whistles.
Now I know its the transmission that's bad, frustrating.
Boater Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2017, 6:46 pm   #402
steve.seven
Pentode

Just tuned in, the sound quality is terrible, the worst I have ever listened too. It's a disgrace for a national broadcast U.K. transmitter, why does this problem keep re occurring ?.
steve.seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2017, 8:01 pm   #403
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

It's impossible to send a message to anyone at Radio Four about this. I have not found any phone number or engineering info contact details anywhere. I couldn't even find a way of posting this sort of information on the BBC R4 facebook page. I know the BBC doesn't operate its transmitters any more, but you'd think someone there might have a passing interest in technical feedback from technically qualified listeners.

I find it particularly frustrating having worked at the BBC's Technical Receiving Site (Crowsley Park) not being be able to reach anyone at the BBC who might like - or really aught - to know about this, especially when so much was spent on Droitwich only a few years ago, leading to sudden transmission breaks and angry complaints to R4 Feedback!

Complaining to Feedback is an option, but it would take days or weeks to pass through the chain and raise awareness in the appropriate quarters to get a permanent fix. Maybe the truth is it simply isn't a priority, and despite the fact that it's a BBC embarrassment being literally broadcast across Europe, perhaps only a few tens of thousands are listening to 198 kHz, and most of them don't notice anyway!

(Sorry, rant over.)

Ian
Ian - G4JQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2017, 8:17 pm   #404
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Complaining to the BBC about poor transmission-quality isn't the thing to do any more than you'd complain to the author of a book that the pages were torn: it's Arquiva that handle the transmission side as opposed to providing the 'content'.

I'm not aware of any significant spend on Droitwich R4LW transmission facilities in the last couple of decades: more a case that its infrastructure is old, creaking, and running on borrowed time with people doing what they can to prop it up.

[The sibilance issues would seem to me to be much more a matter of issues in the low-level audio-distribution network rather than the actual transmitters].

TBH I really doubt if ongoing LW listenership is more than a couple of percent of the R4 audience these days, and can entirely understand that it's treated as low priority.
G6Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2017, 9:54 pm   #405
stitch1
Heptode

Quote:
Complaining to the BBC about poor transmission-quality isn't the thing to do any more than you'd complain to the author of a book that the pages were torn: it's Arquiva that handle the transmission side as opposed to providing the 'content'.
A couple of years ago Martin at Arqiva asked for volunteers to monitor tv and radio transmissions. I registered and received a nice diary in the first year but nothing since and was never asked to do anything.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=104871

I wonder if anyone is still doing this and if this route could be used to raise awareness of the problem. although previous comments would suggest they are aware already.

John
stitch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2017, 8:21 am   #406
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Interesting analogy from G6Tanuki regarding books and authors! To take it, further I guess Droitwich has always been the large print version. But as the audience has decreased, the quality of the print and paper have become variable! The author either doesn't know, assumes the audience too small to bother with, or it's good enough and hardly any one has complained - not that it's possible to do that. Maybe he suggests someone do something about it if they have time and resources, but if not, and it becomes an embarrassment, withdraw sale of that edition...

Trouble is it's virtually the only edition available abroad.

There was a lot of money spent on maintenance of the Droitwich masts in summer 2014 that required transmission breaks. These were the subject of discussion on R4 'Feedback' at the time. Eventually 198 kHz will close for the same reason other European LW transmitters have closed, but I assumed the mast work gave a stay of execution. In that case surely someone at Auntie wants it operating properly.
Old 23rd Oct 2017, 8:55 am   #407
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

When I listened to R4 on 198 yesterday it sounded ok. I cant check at the moment as I am at work and the car radio is only MW and FM, but I will check when I get home.
I do agree with G6Tanuki and think the problem is with one of the programme audio feeds.
Perhaps when something goes wrong with the main audio feed it automatically switches over to this more distorted programme feed but can only be switched back manually..
Old 23rd Oct 2017, 9:19 am   #408
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Are there any Scottish listeners on here who pick up 198kHz from Burghead or Westerglen? It would be interesting to correlate distortion reports with those of Droitwich.

That said, I don't know where the nearest common programme feed point is nowadays. It's no doubt changed since '84.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
russell_w_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2017, 9:42 am   #409
michamoo
Hexode

This situation has gone on for so long now that i can only assume that the 198Khz service is being hobbled deliberately. A similar situation existed a few years ago with the France Bleu medium wave service from Paris. Not many listeners bothered to complain so it was shut down. There does not seem any great will to sort it out if indeed it is a actual fault.
Old 23rd Oct 2017, 10:05 am   #410
ronbryan
Octode

Speech is completely unintelligible now (10:00 am) here in Guildford. You can't even tell it's Jane Garvey speaking.

Ron
ronbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2017, 11:02 am   #411
Nuvistor
Dekatron

There is a report of reduced quality on the 20th from approx 5:30am to 7:45am.

https://ukfree.tv/extras/BBC_Engineeering

It not good at the moment but intelligible.
Old 23rd Oct 2017, 11:26 am   #412
radioman
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post
Are there any Scottish listeners on here who pick up 198kHz from Burghead or Westerglen? It would be interesting to correlate distortion reports with those of Droitwich.
Just listened (11:20am) to the service here in SW Scotland (presumably Westerglen) and it sounds crystal clear with no noticeable distortion.

Andy
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2017, 11:44 am   #413
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

OK now I think - for the past hour or so.

Until next time...?
Old 23rd Oct 2017, 1:13 pm   #414
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Do we still effectively pay a licence for receiving this poor quality transmission?
If so we are being badly served.
Boater Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2017, 1:27 pm   #415
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
Do we still effectively pay a licence for receiving this poor quality transmission?
It might be argued that the licence fee pays for the broadcast and that LW is only one vehicle by which the programme is promulgated.

That argument falls down, of course, if opt-outs like 'Test Match Special' or 'The Daily Service' are exclusive to long-wave or that LW is the ONLY way one can receive the programme.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
russell_w_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2017, 1:35 pm   #416

And in comparison here is a capture of the other strong LW stations along with 198kHz, easy to spot the odd one out. If I did something like that on the amateur bands I would have a knock on the door in short order if someone reported it. There is a point, report to OFCOM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	151234  
Old 23rd Oct 2017, 1:37 pm   #417

Quote:
'Test Match Special' or 'The Daily Service' are exclusive to long-wave or that LW is the ONLY way one can receive the programme.
You can get them on DAB, that isn't country wide coverage though. The only other way is 'tinternet, which is poor in the very areas where 198 so useful.
Old 23rd Oct 2017, 2:34 pm   #418
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Report of weak signal this morning for approx 30 mins.
Enter your post code to see results.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/radio...ption_problems
Old 24th Oct 2017, 12:07 am   #419
crusher19860138
Hexode

198 sounds good again now!
crusher19860138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Oct 2017, 8:48 am   #420
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

198 Droitwich It sounded good when I got home from work last night. Listen to the 6pm Radio 4 news and it was fine.