UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 28th Oct 2020, 3:33 pm   #1
telstar
Octode

Default Cossor radio repair

Hi. My brother was asked to repair an early Cossor 1930's radio recently which he managed to get working. However, it became intermittent and the cause of this became difficult to trace. Before this occurred he had to buy a replacement R.F valve from a supplier in Europe, and this turned out to be the fault. The heater wire inside the glass envelope had not been connected to the end of the terminal, but instead was left un-soldered inside. The supplier did not accept returns, and any way it was too late to return the faulty valve.
Has anyone else experienced similar events?
Cheers
Mike
Old 28th Oct 2020, 3:40 pm   #2
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Re: Cossor radio repair

Hi Mike, Sorry about the valve, are you able to take photo of the loose wire? then contact seller. What valve is it? worth asking on here if anyone has one to spare.

John.
Old 28th Oct 2020, 4:38 pm   #3
Cobaltblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by telstar View Post
The heater wire inside the glass envelope had not been connected to the end of the terminal, but instead was left un-soldered inside.
Has anyone else experienced similar events?
Cheers
Mike
Inside the base to the pin or inside the glass envelope?

Its certainly not unknown for dry joints on Valve pins on B4, B5 and B7 bases.

Usually then can be re-soldered.

If it's inside the envelope then it looks as if a weld has failed that's usually the end of the story.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 28th Oct 2020, 6:02 pm   #4

When buying valves I am quite content to accept they may (only one so far) arrive faulty, for the one that was faulty the seller gave me a refund, no questions asked, for the cost and postage. That aside it may be the pin soldering as mentioned before.

Old 31st Oct 2020, 3:11 pm   #5
telstar
Octode

Hi everyone.
Not sure if people understood the story. He did actually unsolder the tip of the valve terminal where it fits in to the socket. From there he discovered that the end of the heater wire had not been pulled through enough to reach the end of the valve for soldering. So, he looped some wire and tinned it and it manage to grab the wire inside the valve so it could be soldered. Hence the radio was no longer intermittent and it worked!
Closed Thread