UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Mar 2009, 6:09 pm   #1
Pete_kaye
Octode

Default Strange dropper Resistor.

I have removed the 30 Watt 725 Ohm dropper from the Ever Ready 5017 as it appeared to be o/c/.
It has asbestos tube and base insulator.When I tested it again ,it gave a 500K reading on one section and a voltage reading after,dropping down lke a capacitor to zero.I had cleaned the copper contacts.
If I ever restore it ,I will have to use a diode and resistor.Before I throw away this dropper,i would like to know why it does this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4858.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	23789  

Last edited by Pete_kaye; 13th Mar 2009 at 6:14 pm.
Old 13th Mar 2009, 6:26 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Strange dropper Resistor.

Did you measure it on a Digital or Analogue meter. Digitals can do this sort of thing, especlally with the body or any moisture in the item being measured.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 13th Mar 2009, 6:27 pm   #3
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Pete,
If you put mains on it looking like that you're a better man than I am Gunga Din!
Alan
Old 13th Mar 2009, 6:55 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

As Steve says, DMMs can do funny things when presented with inductive resistances. My newish Fluke gives funny readings when measuring transformers' resistances a lot of the time.

Nick.
Old 13th Mar 2009, 9:27 pm   #5
Mr Moose
Octode

Hello,
Looking at the circuit this set has filter capacitors accross the mains. When you put the meter across the broken section you could charge these capacitors with the test voltage from the test meter, via the resistor and the valve heaters. Because the resistor is open circuit the capacitors can't discharge back through the resistor so the capacitors will hold the voltage till they self discharge or you discharge them with your meter.
Yours, Richard
Old 13th Mar 2009, 10:22 pm   #6
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
My newish Fluke gives funny readings when measuring transformers' resistances a lot of the time.
If you are measuring the resistance of a transformer primary, short-circuit the secondary. It won't affect the resistance, but will kill the inductance (which confuses DMM's autoranging systems).

However, I'd be really surprised if the inductance of a wirewound resistor was enough to upset a DMM. Presumably when you say, it drops to zero, you mean the current drawn drops to zero (ie resistance reads infinity)? In this case, I'd suggest moisture in the thing, as Steve P says.
Old 13th Mar 2009, 10:31 pm   #7
ultra-linear
Retired Dormant Member

And if you're using an autoranging Fluke, switch it out of autorange mode.
Closed Thread