UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jun 2020, 7:43 pm   #1
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Default Cossor 3467

Hi All,

I've recently rediscovered this little console radio after it's had a long wait in the loft for some attention. Around 7 years ago I was going to refinish it and make repairs to the bottom of the cabinet where the veneer had water ingress and became damaged. Upon stripping down I found it to need much more work than just the top layer so it went in the loft where it has stayed since 2013.

I have decided to get this finished as I remember how much I loved this receiver and I want it to take pride of place once again. I've started sanding back the cabinet to a nice flat finish whilst making repairs along the way. Some of the ply has began to delaminate so this is to be glued and clamped, there are also some chips to the wood which will be filled and flatted to give a good finish for some new veneer.

I'm going to go for a burl walnut veneer as I have pictured, it wasn't at all cheap but it will really make this little radio stand out and show it off very nicely. Once this is done I intend to have it professionally french polished to finish off the veneer and bring out the grain.

I do often wonder where this radio sat in the line of quality. Initially I thought it to be towards the higher end of quality sets in its time, but it has given up some secrets. Firstly the radio chassis was used in several sets, and one of those sets is used as the top half of the cabinet, the bottom half being an available extension speaker both of which were mated to make the 3467. Later versions of the receiver had a single cabinet that was specifically made for the 3467. I do wonder whether it was a bit of a stop gap, to use up some ageing models kicking around but maybe lasted in production for longer than expected. Also, the build quality of these cabinets is't the greatest. The top half is much better but the bottom half uses much thinner and poor quality ply which is proving somewhat difficult to work with. Finally only the front of the set is actually veneered. The sides and top are just the top later of ply.

Some photos attached showing what my model looks like, minus the legs which I hope to make to finish it off. The top part of the cabinet which is also another cossor set and finally the veneer which will bring this cabinet back to life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3467.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	208556   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200615_190751.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	208557   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200615_183823.jpg
Views:	94