UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Aug 2019, 5:28 pm   #1
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default Philips 124 elec capacitor data?

Trying to find some information on Philips 124 series capacitor PN 4822-124-70226. Apparently 4700uF 40V. It's a low profile blue typical philips can with dented sides.

I looked in the mullard databooks from 1981 I have and they only go up to 122 series!

Does anyone have any idea where to look for a datasheet for these? After footprint if possible so I can pick the least hacky replacement without having to dismantle the unit entirely to get to it twice.
Old 1st Aug 2019, 6:47 pm   #2
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips 124 elec capacitor data?

It makes sense you can't find the 124 series since the number you're giving is not a Philips Components number but a Central Service number as used in service manuals and spares supply. The Philips Components code number will start with 2222 instead of 4822. Service numbers were provided by a separate department within Philips and follow another pattern.

So, you would either need a 2222 code number or a service manual of the set in question.

If you have access to the electrolytic itself, the series is printed on it. Probably the 3 digits from the middle group as you would expect.
Old 1st Aug 2019, 7:50 pm   #3
MrBungle
Dekatron

Thanks for the tips. This has helped me narrow it down to a 2222 050. I have some candidate parts now so I'll excavate it tomorrow and order something.

I'm a bit annoyed Philips have a layer of indirection. How annoying!
Old 2nd Aug 2019, 1:00 am   #4
Maarten
Dekatron

Actually they got annoyed with it themselves too at some point, well actually it took them 37 years... The 48xx service codes were only issued between the start of the current coding system in 1963 and 2000. New service numbers from 2000 onwards were issued in the 99xx range and only for non-standard parts used in sets from 3rd party OEMs. While 48xx numbers were quite hierarchical, 99xx numbers are mostly just incremental. Standard parts and Philips internally supplied parts got to keep their own numbers for service purposes from then on (mostly 20xx-29xx, 31xx, 93xx but also a few chosen articles from lower numbered groups).

The layer of indirection made sense at the time, though. It made it possible to have a smaller stock of service parts while maintaining maximum flexibility in production.

Last edited by Maarten; 2nd Aug 2019 at 1:23 am.
Closed Thread