UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jul 2019, 3:09 pm   #1
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Old HT and LT batteries, what to keep?

A couple of weeks ago I bought a valve portable radio that still had the (long dead) batteries inside. An AD35 (1.5V) for LT and a B126 (90V) for HT.

The AD35 had leaked, one corner of the cardboard casing is stained. The B126 has not.

I've carefully separated the cardboard flaps at the ends of the casings and taken them apart. Partly because I wanted to save the socket connectors (which are hard to find, useful for making replacement batteries, and were uncorroded here) and partly to satisfy my curiousity as to how such battereis were made.

For interest, the B126 contained 4 stacks of 15 (each) zinc carbon layer cells. Each cells measured about 30mm by 15mm by 5mm thick. The AD35 contained a pair of (now corroded) cylindrical cells about 30mm diameter and 70mm long (over the zinc can, the carbon rod sticks out a bit further). I think that may be the old U17 (or E cell) size.

I am wondering what is worth keeping :

Sockets : obviously yes.

Waxed insulating sheets, etc, from the B126 : probably. They are not much to store

Cardboard outers : B126, probably as it is not stained by leakage. AD35, can nything be done about the leakage damage? I guess it's easy enough to print a new one now

B126 cells : I can't see a use.

AD35 cells : leaked, corroded, so I guess recycle them.

Does that sound sensible?
Old 29th Jul 2019, 4:05 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Old HT and LT batteries, what to keep?

You don't say what make the batteries are. I'd have thought it a good idea to scan the cases and post the scan in the forums if they're not already there.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 29th Jul 2019, 4:57 pm   #3
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

I photograph, steam them open and scan.

I photograph the internal cells too.

If I don't have dimensions, I measure, though often they are swollen. Applies to internal cells too.

It's easy to edit out any leakage damage on a copy of the scans.

The batteries will sooner or later destroy the cases. There is rarely much recyclable material left on 50+ year old cells.

I keep everything except the cells. I'd reuse the sockets in working replicas if in good condition, though some sockets are easily replicated.

Eventually I'll put all the info I've collected on my battery site.
http://www.blaukatz.com/tables/alldr...l-dry-35-ad35/
The AD35 seem to have used various sizes of cells internally over the years. Going by rated running time and size, the E cells seem to have been common. Two off Alkaline D cells is higher capacity. At least one AD35 I opened had D cells (U2 without labels). The 996 packs traditionally have been F cells, but some now are D cells, acceptable if Alkaline as that's similar capacity to Zinc Carbon Layer cells.
http://www.blaukatz.com/tables/basic-round-cells/

Only carbon Layer cells should be permitted. The Zinc Carbon and Zinc Chloride cylindrical cells should have been banned 10 to 20 years ago as there is zero use case for them.

Last edited by Mike. Watterson; 29th Jul 2019 at 5:10 pm. Reason: Internals
Old 29th Jul 2019, 5:36 pm   #4
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I think calling them 'AD35' and 'B126' implies they are Ever Ready (Vidor which was the other common maker had totally different numbers). Anyway they are the normal 'Blue' Ever Ready ones which have been scanned many times. No idea as to the production date, so no way to related that to the internals.

I did measure the physical size of the cells (and mentioned it above). The cells in the AD35 were certainly longer than D cells. I took a few photos of the insides as they came apart, I'll try to get them on flickr sometime.

The sockets from my batteries look fine, saving those was one main reason for taking the batteries apart. I fully intend to use them on replicas or PSU projects or something like that. I've made such sockets in the past (including 'posh' ones with slotted brass tubes for the contacts) but I would rather use old ones if I can.

So I guess no point in keeping the cells. Still wondering what to do with the cardboard.
Old 31st Jul 2019, 1:15 pm   #5
TonyDuell
Dekatron

For reference I have attached scans of the (unfolded) cardboard casings of the 2 batteries. I assume they are well-know versions and that it is not worth trying to clean up the scans as they are already on the web.

I'll keep the cardboard at least for the moment though.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ever-Ready_B126_AD35_scan.pdf (1.35 MB, 53 views)
Old 31st Jul 2019, 1:22 pm   #6
Station X

I've copied that across to this thread:-

https://vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=109240

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 1st Aug 2019, 11:17 am   #7
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I've put a few photos of my batteries here :

https://www.***********/photos/tony_d...57710025279242

if anyone wants to see how they were made.
Closed Thread