UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 17th May 2019, 9:04 am   #41
PaulR
Dekatron

Default Re: Childhood memories of radios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
With respect, sideband, it was 'Sandy Macpherson at the organ (Sunday Mornings, IIRC. There was also 'Semprini Serenade' (Old ones, New ones, etc.).
Oh yes that stirs some memories along with The Billy Cotton Band Show on Sunday afternoons followed by Cheerful Charlie Chester later on. The latter caused some amusement amongst us early teenagers as the father of one of us was Charles Chester.

Researching Charlie Chester brought up this site https://www.radiorewind.co.uk/index.html I don't know whether it has already been referenced in the websites part here but it gives an interesting history of radios 1 and 2

Last edited by PaulR; 17th May 2019 at 9:11 am.
Old 17th May 2019, 4:55 pm   #42
mark_in_manc
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
I remember searching all the bands and finding the sinister dot-dot-dot-dash signal that repeatedly indicated that we were not at war with anyone- yet.
I remember that Morse signal. Is that what it was? It always seemed to be there, always the same, not (apparently, now I know what this is) a numbers station.
Old 17th May 2019, 5:06 pm   #43
AC/HL
Dekatron

That would be the early warning system: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=24083
Old 17th May 2019, 5:31 pm   #44
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

There was also another 'thing' often heard on shortwave in the 60s and 70s which was a continuous rasping note interrupted periodically and regularly with three dashes.

Must admit, I was always fascinated by the various breedle-breedles, warbles, burps and squeaks to be heard tuning around on HF. My favourites were the warbling multi-tone Piccolo/Coquelet RTTY links.
Closed Thread