UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 16th May 2011, 7:48 pm   #61
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: NVCF May 15th 2011

I didn't buy much but amongst my purchases I did get a cloth bellset cord and line cord for my 232 phone to replace the plastic ones. There was a gorgeous 300 series green phone but I couldn't really afford the £600 they wanted for it!

Brian
Old 16th May 2011, 8:22 pm   #62
harvestgold
Hexode

I enjoyed the show, as usual, but my reasons for buying less than I have previously was a) Lack of space (the old problem!) and b) I still have lots of unrestored items bought in the last year which need attending to, including nearly all the stuff I bought from last year's NVCF.

I did come away with a really nice HMV model 2107 45rpm player for £45 (which I've wanted for ages!), a cracking little Bush SRP30 for £15, lots of fantastic LPs from the 30p / 50p record stall (they are in superb condition). a Technics cassette deck for a fiver and a Trio cassette deck from the B&B. Oh, and a boxed and new Betamax recorder. also from the B&B which turns out to be an American NTSC only model - oh well, never mind! All the stuff I donated to the B&B disappeared too, which pleased me no end.

Thanks as usual to the organisers for a nice day out. and it was great to meet up with friends!

Neil
Old 16th May 2011, 8:28 pm   #63
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvestgold View Post
Oh, and a boxed and new Betamax recorder. also from the B&B which turns out to be an American NTSC only model - oh well, never mind!
Sorry about that. The guy who brought it was clearly American so I should have asked him. Later on he came back to the stall and mentioned it was an NTSC model. By then you had long gone, even assuming I could have remembered who I sold it to amongst all the hubbub of the B&B. It may have a market value in the UK, genuine NTSC machines are rare here. Many UK machines can play NTSC tapes but you get a pseudo-PAL output that will give a picture on a UK PAL TV. Some Beta machines seem to go for high prices too so you may even turn a profit.

At least you got rid of all the stuff you left on the B&B.
Old 16th May 2011, 9:21 pm   #64
audiomagpie
Heptode

My thoughts re the comments about high prices for some items.

Some folk there are traders and have to make their living (or part thereof) from it. Costs of hiring the stall, fuel/vehicle expenses and possibly even having to rent storage units, etc. This will reflect in the pricing.
Others there are fellow collectors having a clear out who just want to recoup whatever they can to make space for future projects. This is where the bargains can usually be found!

I arrived early at 9am. I don't live too far away and decided that what I'd otherwise be saving on fuel I would put into the early entrance fee. I'd made my two main purchases of the day by 10am. The Stella TV and Rega as I've mentioned earlier in the thread were both a snip at £20 each (something with 'Rega' on it for 20 quid?!). I consider them both to be good buys, many happy hours of fun in the workshop for not too much money. I spent about the same again on bits, pieces and a full english! And I enjoyed spending every penny of it! But there were a lot of 'early birds' and maybe that's where the bargains went?

But this isn't fair on those who can't justify the extra entrance premium or have to travel so far they can't get there any earlier.

Another observation: While valve audio equipment is never cheap, I did think that some of the 70' to 90's transistorised hifi was priced a little optimistically, along with some very tatty looking pairs of speakers!

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NVCF 003.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	51219   Click image for larger version

Name:	NVCF 005.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	51220  

BVWS committee chairman
Old 16th May 2011, 9:28 pm   #65
Richard
Heptode

Hi

Great day, it was a late decision to come but well worth it.

Didn't buy anything!, and missed a Beard 505 pre amp, saw it being carried away by the buyer, now if I had started at the other end of the hall......

Thanks to all concerned

Richard
Old 16th May 2011, 9:34 pm   #66
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

Neil, if you do feel like passing on the NTSC Beta machine I wouldn't mind buying it off you if it wasn't too expensive. I do also have a pure NTSC VHS machine and have a use for these as I have a substantial collection of NTSC laser discs.

Brian
Old 16th May 2011, 10:08 pm   #67
Tazman1966
Nonode

Another enjoyable day at the NVCF. I already knew that I wouldn't be buying much as I'm all out of room but did make some room for some of the projects from last year's event

A big pat on the back to the organisers and to the caterers too, yum! I did forget to use my voucher though, doh

Anyone care to own up who bought the basket case Pye Hybrid? I deliberated and dithered but decided not to myself...
Old 17th May 2011, 10:40 am   #68
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I attended for only the second time, having made the trip from Chipping Norton via Stratford on Avon, using 3 buses to get there by about 1.30PM. Didn't buy much, but found some interesting MP3 format CDs about 60s pirate radio. Bought two of them, one
of Radio London's last day, the other of R. Caroline North on14 Aug 67. There are no notes with them, and I would like to know more about them, if anyone can enlighten me. Listened to part of the 'Big L' one yesterday-memories of younger days!!
Old 18th May 2011, 8:09 am   #69
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Hello there,
I had a good time there but did not buy too many things this time. I got there at 9:15am and paid the early entrance.

Nice to see a few forum members there.

I came away with a nice big 24V 10 amp transformer I had been looking for, A top of the range agilent digital bench multimeter for £10 and a really nice Murphy A70 radio with a nearly perfect cabinet for £48.

No 405 line tellys took my interest this time. There seemed to be a lack of pre 1950's 9" round CRT sets and good pre war radio restoration projects at the show in recent years.

Some of the prices seemed a little high this year and I noticed a few nice things did not have prices on which is a bit off putting having to ask what they want for it !!

There seems to be a growing trend of more modern tat and old hi-fi at this event which is unfortunate.

I think maybe Ebay has not helped with older sets and the Luton radio rally this coming Sunday (which I am hopefully going) may have put a few people off as well !!

I will definatly be going again in future.

Christopher Capener

Last edited by high_vacuum_house; 18th May 2011 at 8:15 am.
Old 19th May 2011, 5:04 pm   #70
harvestgold
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
Sorry about that. The guy who brought it was clearly American so I should have asked him. Later on he came back to the stall and mentioned it was an NTSC model.
No problem - It was down lo me to check it over before buying. Anyway, it is being passed on now to someone who can make good use of it , so all's well that ends well!

Also, as you say, I managed to shift quite a few of my surplus items on the stall which was most welcome!
Closed Thread