UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jan 2019, 6:50 pm   #1
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Default Sanyo VTC 5550 tape getting chewed up in reverse search

Hi all. I have a Sanyo VTC 5550 which sometimes chews tapes when using reverse search. From the video I attached, you can see the top edge of the tape comming in contact and riding on the pole next to the A/C head. I tried swapping the pinch roller and the supply reel table from a good working VTC 5000 but the problem still persists. Link to the video:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TA...FmX6XYYKEkbi_h
Any ideas on this?

TIA

Fivos
Old 19th Jan 2019, 11:47 pm   #2
davyrocket2
Pentode

Default Re: Sanyo VTC 5550 tape getting chewed up in reverse search

My suggestion would be ask Sanbeta-Kevin Lambert- Betapalsite may be able to suggest how to remedy this
Old 21st Jan 2019, 2:05 am   #3
Sanbeta
Hexode

High fivos

I have seen this on a few VTC 5000's & 5150's here in the UK and it's caused by two things.
One is occassionaly the capstan shaft is not entirely flat and you can see this if you remove the capstan assembly slide out the shaft from the motor and run your finger or thumb up and down. You will feel a very slight groove if it's there. Usually around where the pinch roller presses. What causes this is a build up of crud which is left for long periods at the top and bottom of the pinch roller area.
Also the pinch roller needs to be matt (not shiny) and dead flat .
You can gently rub a flat piece of 120 grit paper all over this but keep it flat and slightly at an angle to ensure it does this job correctly. Better still put the grit paper on a flat surface and hold the pinch roller between thumb and finger top and bottom and lightly drag it over the paper turning it gently as you do this until it's all been refreshed.
there is also another area you can make a successful adjustment too The black pinch roller cap. If you turn this towards the right more you can control how much pressure the spring loaded lever put's on the pinch roller on the capstan shaft. You want it slightly less and observe like you have that the tape stays dead flat and doesn't rise up or down in play /forward and reverse search modes at the beginning ,middle and tape end. During reverse search it may also be necessary to very slightly raise up the tape guide nearest the capstan motor but leave that until you've checked and accomplished those areas I mentioned first.
If the capstan shaft does have a significant groove or you can feel a ridge you may have to change it. But try those other things first.
Let us know how it goes.

.....Kev
Old 22nd Jan 2019, 12:56 am   #4
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Hi Kevin and thanks for your reply. I tried adjusting the pinch roller's tension by rotating the black cap on top of it. It helped a little bit but the problem was still there. After further inspection, it turns out the problem was this metal bracket that pushes the pinch roller assy onto the capstan shaft. It was slighly bent and that caused the bottom portion of the pinch roller to not make a good enough contact with the capstan. I bent it back with some pliers and it's now working as it should. Not sure what caused it to bend in the first place. If you have any idea on how that happened, let me know.

Thanks

Fivos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190122_014758.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	176884  
Old 22nd Jan 2019, 7:06 pm   #5
Sanbeta
Hexode

Fivos

Well done. I had a feeling that area was responsible but have not yet come across that bracket being bent.
Seeing as how strong it's made I can only suspect someone has tried to force things down to no unlacing and a tape inside. I'm pretty sure it didn't get that way on it's own.

...Kev
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 4:19 pm   #6
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I have one more question. Do you have spare idlers and belts? I need two sets for my 5000 and this 5550. It's identical to the 5000 apart from PAL and SECAM recording and playback and 110-240V.

Fivos
Old 24th Jan 2019, 12:30 am   #7
Sanbeta
Hexode

Fivos

Do you still have that working clock panel from the 9300 and also a couple of base feet. If so maybe we can do a deal

.Kev
Old 24th Jan 2019, 12:39 am   #8
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Kev

I'm sure I have it somewhere but you have to wait a few weeks as I have most of my VCR/electronics stuff away from me. It's from a 9350 but it is identical to the 9300 so should work fine.

Fivos
Old 31st Jan 2019, 5:34 pm   #9
Sanbeta
Hexode

Ok Sounds good to me
Closed Thread