UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jan 2019, 4:10 pm   #1
chocolatetony
Retired Dormant Member

Default Akai 4000D speeding replay

I have a reel to reel AKAI 4000D which has developed a reel odd fault !

It plays back faster than it records , this happens on both speeds
I dont understand how this can happen as what ever controls the capstan speed must be common to both record and play

I have owned the machine for many years and the fault has just happened ,this has encouraged my wife to speak against the machine and get rid !, I have no intention of doing this it if can be repaired at reasonable cost

Any ideas ?
Chocolatetony
Old 7th Jan 2019, 6:53 pm   #2
toshiba tony
Heptode

Default Re: akai 4000D speeding replay

I'll tell you what, Tony, this is an odd one. And yes, as far as I am aware, there can be no difference in speeds between record or play. I will look at the manual when I get home. You need to ascertain which is out, what is it like on previous recordings made on this machine?
Old 7th Jan 2019, 10:13 pm   #3
chocolatetony
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Akai 4000D speeding replay

Yes, will do this. That will tell me if the 'record mode' is slow or the 'play mode' is fast. Logic tells me this problem should not exist, but it does.
Old 8th Jan 2019, 7:29 am   #4
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

After reading this yesterday I got to thinking, how do you know it is faster on PB than record? Do you have a tacho or speed app or something to track speed on the two function's, or is a gross difference? Or do you mean something else, on PB the track is too fast?

Tony's post is about essentially the same thing. Whenever you have a fault like this on a R2R, change the tape after a good clean of the tape path, especially the capstan roller. Andy.
Old 8th Jan 2019, 9:33 am   #5
toshiba tony
Heptode

Andy and Tony, briefly perused the service manual, nothing yet!
Old 8th Jan 2019, 9:51 am   #6
julie_m
Dekatron

Measure 1.9 metres of tape, and time how long it takes to pass through the machine in both play and record (should be 20" without capstan sleeve fitted, or 10" with).

It's difficult to think what could be at fault here, except the motor and its associated capacitor.
Old 8th Jan 2019, 12:50 pm   #7
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Could this be a fault which has developed recently, so making all pre-recorded material sound fast? I'd be inclined to look at the take-up tension - tensions are high on these machines to start with and if the clutch is binding it could compete with the pinch.
Old 10th Jan 2019, 4:27 am   #8
TIMTAPE
Octode

Not sure if already covered but many Akai machines have a stepped motor pulley for either 50 Hz or 60hz mains operation. Could the 50/60 setting have been accidentally changed?

I have also had Akai machines where the capstan belt stretches enough to ride up on the flange between the two pulleys.

Also what degree of speed change between record and playback are we talking about? 1%? 5%? In musical terms, a tone? A semi tone?
Old 10th Jan 2019, 7:32 am   #9
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

"Akai machines have a stepped motor pulley for either 50 Hz or 60hz mains operation" good point Tim.

Andy.