UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Feb 2015, 9:18 pm   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile EF83 vs EF86.

Hi,
I have my Grundig TK149 in bits on the bench trying to sort a recording fault. The machine contains an EF86 followed by an EF83 (and then an ECL86 & an ECC81).
According to the National Valve Museum the pin outs between the '83 and the '86 are quite different, but other online sources give them as pin compatible. Squinting into the bottle, they do look remarkably similar. If so, could an EF86 be used in place of an 83, if only for testing purposes?
Also, why would a tape recorder have one of each instead of two EF86s?
Thanks.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 18th Feb 2015, 9:28 pm   #2
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: EF83 vs EF86.

The EF83 is a variable gain pentode.
Old 18th Feb 2015, 9:56 pm   #3
RF Burn
Hexode

As Dave says, the EF83 is a the variable-mu (or remote cut-off) version of the EF86 and is used to enable compression or constant output level function in audio circuits. A useable feature in tape recorders so as the tape is not driven into saturation. Compare with the use of variable-mu pentodes in the I.F. stages of a superhet to obtain constant volume output from the radio coupled with the application of AGC to these stages.

Adrian
Old 18th Feb 2015, 10:50 pm   #4
bobbyball
Octode

The EF83 is used in the "automatic record level" function. Not a very common valve. I rather supect an EF86 in the EF83 position would cause the record level circuit to function incorrectly.
Old 19th Feb 2015, 9:50 pm   #5
Sideband
Dekatron

I have a feeling I have an EF83 in my valve stash. I was keeping it for a rainy day just in case. I'm never likely to use it so.....

Let me know if you want it.....mind you I have to find it first!
Old 19th Feb 2015, 11:48 pm   #6
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: EF83 vs EF86.

Hi,
I think I got the two valves the wrong way round in their holders as the tape recorder which just about played back OK didn't any more. When I corrected them, it started working again. If the pin-outs are the same, (even though the characteristics are different), I would have expected something from the speaker
Thanks for the offer of your EF83 Sideband. If I get stuck, I'll pm you.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 20th Feb 2015, 10:50 pm   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

I'll be up in the W/S over the weekend sometime. I'll let you know if I find the EF83. I doubt I'll ever use it so it's yours for cost of postage.

Pretty sure the pinouts are the same as EF86.
Old 21st Feb 2015, 10:55 am   #8
jjl
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractorfan View Post
I think I got the two valves the wrong way round in their holders as the tape recorder which just about played back OK didn't any more. When I corrected them, it started working again. If the pin-outs are the same, (even though the characteristics are different), I would have expected something from the speaker
Pete

The pinout is different, EF83 here

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0527.htm

and EF86 here

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aai0113.htm

the main difference is that g1 is on pin 2 for the EF83 and pin 9 for the EF86, so it's not too surprising that you had no sound when the 2 valves were swapped.

John
Old 21st Feb 2015, 1:33 pm   #9
FERNSEH
Dekatron

There was even a 0.3amp heater version for TV sets. The PF83.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_pf83.html

The vari-mu EF89 was used as the audio amplier in some record player amplifiers.

DFWB.
Old 21st Feb 2015, 1:59 pm   #10
barretter
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post
The pinout is different, EF83 here

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0527.htm

and EF86 here

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aai0113.htm

the main difference is that g1 is on pin 2 for the EF83 and pin 9 for the EF86, so it's not too surprising that you had no sound when the 2 valves were swapped.
There seems to be some confusion on that website as the Philips PDF contradicts the information above it. My Mullard technical handbook gives exactly the same pin-out for both the EF83 and EF86 and I see that the PF83 also has the same pin-out as the EF86. Also the Philips handbook says that the EF86 and 83 have the same pin-out.
Closed Thread