UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Feb 2015, 5:58 pm   #1
ekcopyephilips
Hexode

Default NON polarised capacitor

Hi all

A while ago i found some information (possibly on here) on how to make a polarized capacitor from two electrolytic capacitors.

I have totally forgotten what the article said with regards to values and voltage ratings, could someone enlighten me please?

I need to make a value up to replace a non polarized one on the convergence panel of a Pye 697 chassis.

Sorry to be so thick, but why has the designer chosen to have a non polarized cap ?

Cheers

Mike
Old 16th Feb 2015, 6:21 pm   #2
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Re: NON polarised capacitor

A common solution when replacing a non polarised electrolytic capacitor was to use 2 polarised ones back-to-back. Each capacitor has to be twice the value of the original and the same working voltage. A better solution is to use a modern non-electrolytic type, at least for values up to about 4.7uF, bigger values tend to be physically too large. I would expect that the designer has specified a non-polarised capacitor because the capacitor in the application is dealing with A.C. voltages that go above and below the zero line.
Closed Thread