UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 10th May 2010, 9:47 pm   #41
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.
Default Re: NVCF 2010 - Thanks to all!

What a great day. Thanks to Andy for the lift. Vey impressed with those huge radiograms its just amazing how 6w rms can fill half the hall. This was my first visit to the NCVF at this venue and hopefully will not be the last.
Old 10th May 2010, 10:04 pm   #42
Sound Man
Tetrode

This was my second visit and I enjoyed it just as much as last year. The only item's I bought was a number of used Neutrick XLR plugs and a very large white horn speaker. I long to be able to pick up a couple of original 42" Grampian Horn speakers. Maybe next year?

I do think it's good to see an event with stalls selling lots of appropriate items instead of them getting swamped with computer parts.

Thank you for a good day.

David
Old 10th May 2010, 11:29 pm   #43
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Just to add my thanks and appreciation to all who worked so hard to make Sunday such a great day. I was behind a stall for the first time which, perhaps, saved me from blowing quite as much money as I otherwise would have done (and helped me make a bit from my "garage surplus" stock too !). I still came away with a great pair (yes, a pair !!) of Beam Echo Avantic SPA11s and, at the other end of the value scale, quite the rattiest Taylor 45A I've ever seen.

And special thanks to Mark Hennessy who ferried a pair of Quad 50Ds there for me. I hadn't realised quite how heavy those beasts are. The stereo pair weighs more than 20kg, which only goes to show you can make transistor amps heavy too. All you have to do is put really meaty output transformers in them ! Thanks also to Jeffrey Borinsky for finding the very unusual plugs and sockets for me. Once the amps have been re-capped I'm very much looking forward to hearing them.

And a final word of thanks from my better half who actually did most of the duty behind the stall, while I was away bargain-hunting and chatting . She came to another show with me earlier this year, held in a nice hotel. But she was moved to comment just how much better the tea was at the NVCF ! Strong praise indeed ...

Cheers,

GJ
Old 11th May 2010, 9:28 am   #44
ray@roberts
Retired Dormant Member

Default Nvcf

Many thanks once again to all involved in the organisation of another excellent show. The display of radiograms was outstanding and though I came away with "only" (another) Roberts RMB, every stall had something of interest to look at and talk about to the stallholder.
See you next year.
Ray
Old 11th May 2010, 11:30 am   #45
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Late getting in on this one,

It was a good event, I came away with quite a few NOS telly valves, a couple of radios and some other odds 'n' sods. I met up with quite a few forum members too.

Cheers to all who made it happen.

Lee
Old 11th May 2010, 12:10 pm   #46
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Should there be an Autumn one?
Alan
Old 11th May 2010, 1:47 pm   #47
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I have asked the same question myself, as I missed the old October event when it was discontinued. However the success of this event may be, to some extent, due to its current annual status. Not to mention the amount of work required of the organisers...

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 11th May 2010, 1:52 pm   #48
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

It's a bit after my time on the BVWS committee but my understanding is that the vintage wireless calendar was becoming a bit too crowded, to the detriment of all the events. Better to have fewer good ones than more neglected ones. Harpendens were reduced from 4 to 3 at about the same time.

Even at present, the NVCF is really a bit close to the June Harpenden; less than a month between them.
Old 11th May 2010, 1:58 pm   #49
RGD Dennis
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: NVCF 2010 - Thanks to all!

Yes, I enjoyed a great day at the NVCF, I was acting as helper to Jim Duckworth, I did not intend to spend a lot this year as I have to think before buying, where the hell am I going to put it when I get it home?

However on visiting the radiogram display, I saw a Dynatron Berkeley radiogram on display, asked Mike barker who it belonged to and he informed me that it was for sale.

I have wanted one of these for such a long time and could not believe my luck, the radiogram is in lovely condition, completely original ( knobs record deck etc),

Anyway I was very happy to pay the price asked and two kind gentlemen
loaded it into my car (I suffer from a double hernia so did not want risk aggravating that), it is now playing in my lounge and performs as well as it looks, my 78's have never sounded so good but only to be expected on such a quality set as the Dynatron Berkeley.

So spent far more that I intended but extremely happy with what I spent the money on, I shall never need another radiogram!!!
Old 11th May 2010, 5:29 pm   #50
howard
Nonode

Hello,

The NVCF was a good day out and as always, well organised. I didn't buy much though, but acquired a load of Vishay capacitors from the BVWS stand (cheapest source I know), a few bits and pieces from here and there and 5 transistor radios from the B&B stand as Jeffrey was shutting up shop. One is already in Success Stories, a GEC BC505, and also 4 delapidated 1957 PYE P123BQs, for not a lot. Jeffrey will confirm just how bad these were but yesterday I built a nice one out of the best bits from the four as pictured below, just the red flock to obtain and replace and that then too will appear in Success Stories.

If Alan Becket would care to PM me I have two nice knobs for his PYE here.

It was good to meet lots of folk from the forum, and from Ireland, Holland ... and I did like Mike Barker's display of 1930s art-deco radiograms.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PYE_P123BQ_NVCF_2010 001.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	35694  
Old 11th May 2010, 6:13 pm   #51
KeithsTV
Nonode

I had a look through those P123BQs and Jooles405 and myself had what looked to be the best 2 of them. Just had to clean up the battery contacts and put some batteries in and away it went.

Keith
Old 12th May 2010, 1:07 pm   #52
Beobloke
Heptode

I have been a regular at the NVCF for many years and always go mainly for the hi-fi side of things - this time I bought some LPs and singles, plus a few gadgets and a B&O Beogram 1202 that was too good to pass up for £5 (well, it was my birthday!)

However that radiogram display was superb and I completely fell in love with the Decca Decola. So much so, in fact, that I have found myself browsing pre-war radiograms on ebay more than once since Sunday! The only thing that's holding me back is the thought that, whilst my wife is just about coping with 40 turntables, three large pairs of loudspeakers and one radiogram which has yet to cross the threshold into the house, anything more might just push her over the edge and endanger parts of my anatomy......
Old 12th May 2010, 2:54 pm   #53
Focus Diode
Octode

A fantastic day out indeed! I could've spent another couple of hours easilly. I must apologise to John and Tas for not getting back to you both. The van was already full of sets and old hi fi so there was a danger of finding more we couldn't bring back!

Many thanks to all that organised it. I agree, a great venue and never too overcrowded. It was good to see some disabled people there too, so no one was left out.

Cheers,

Brian
Old 12th May 2010, 3:38 pm   #54
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus Diode View Post
It was good to see some disabled people there too, so no one was left out.
I think the only part of the venue that is not wheelchair-friendly is the restaurant. Tables were provided downstairs so hopefully wheelchair users had someone with them that could manage the stairs to fetch their food and drinks down. In the event of problems I'm sure any of the restaurant staff, event organisers or BVWS committee members would have been happy to help.

I am not aware of any complaints about this so hopefully everyone managed OK. We are certainly keen to welcome everyone and do what we can to accommodate with the facilities available.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 12th May 2010, 9:58 pm   #55
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: NVCF 2010 - Thanks to all!

Helo there,
Had a good day there on Sunday. Getting in was made easier by selling the yellow things outside whilst we waited to go in. Met several forum members and all the junk I put on the B&B stall all went. Bought a Bush TV32 and a Pye tri-standard monitor which looks an interesting project. I also bought a bag of electrolytics and a few presision voltmeters on the B&B stall. There were plenty of little bargains to be had rummging in the 50p a bag boxes on a few of the stalls. Found a lot of early and probably now difficult to get hold of NOS semiconductors and resistors. Not many pre 50's tellies around though. I could hear the radiograms all the way in the car park!. See you all next year.
Christoper Capener
Old 12th May 2010, 10:40 pm   #56
Camtwister
Retired Dormant Member

A few colourful reminders of the day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image1850.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	35770   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1842.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	35771   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1824.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	35772   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1815.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	35773   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1788.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	35774  

Old 12th May 2010, 10:42 pm   #57
Camtwister
Retired Dormant Member

See you next year.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image1852.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	35775   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1809.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	35776  
Old 14th May 2010, 5:44 pm   #58
murphymad
Heptode

Hi All,

I think to draw this to a natural close, here are some stats of the event.

Stall bookings - More than we could accomodate in the hall so we may have to tweak the layout for next year to accomodate a few more.

Early entries - down by seven people on last year at 89 people.

10:30 entries - 754 which is 4 people less than last year.

Financially a reasonable amount of income was made to add to the funds for specific projects at the Museum and future NVCF displays.

The Radiogram exhibition was certainly a great success and very popular by the number of people I spoke to on the day and the responses here.

We class this event as a great success.
I would like to do a second each year but myself and Guy really could not face it, and one a year keeps it special, but who knows what 2011 might bring...

The venue is excellent and the owners and staff are both helpfull and friendly.
The food is great and reasonably priced too, which allows us to give a BVWS benefit to the membership for this event.

The new Arm bands worked very well and we were able to stop any un-paid access to the hall which is good all round. There were a few red faces who though they could just slip in, but not this time and nor in the future!

By selling the bands down the queue line ahead of opening time, everyone was able to get in swiftly and the hall filled up very quickly. The stall holders also commented that it was quicker for them too.

Thank you all for your very kind comments about the event, and we will continue to try and make it better and better each year. Your feedback here helps us to do this.

Until next year...

Mike...
Old 14th May 2010, 6:19 pm   #59
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Thank you for the update Mike, it rounds off this thread very nicely indeed.