UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Dec 2007, 12:14 am   #1
photoman125
Retired Dormant Member

Default Alternative to Laquer

Due to a hand problem I can't spray laquer, I collect 1930's to 1945 sets often basket cases which mean stripping off the varnish etc, any suggestions what to use to still give an original finish thanks
Steve
Old 18th Dec 2007, 12:45 am   #2
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Alternative to Laquer

some people use danish oil ,which is easy to apply ,and can with care give a very nice finish
Old 18th Dec 2007, 12:54 am   #3
photoman125
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks I've just stripped several coats of paint from my utility set so I'll try some on that
Old 18th Dec 2007, 8:40 am   #4
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Yep - I'd go for Danish Oil. Start with a brush, then use a lint-free cloth for the subsequent coats. Leave each coat for a few days.

If it is a high-gloss finish, I would be tempted to use French polish (shellac + meths), but that needs a bit more skill.