UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Oct 2017, 5:36 pm   #21
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default Re: Chinese electronics and The Art of Electronics

Also worth considering the companion book for it, which is Learning the Art of Electronics. I bought this as well just to see and there's a lot to learn in it. For example, one of the sections, you build your own operational amplifier from a discrete transistor array and then characterise its performance as you make modifications to it. I went through this and it was great fun!

Last edited by MrBungle; 20th Oct 2017 at 5:38 pm. Reason: Fix terrible English!
Old 20th Oct 2017, 8:13 pm   #22
chriswood1900
Octode

Thanks for the tip I will see about getting a copy, the op amp does sound like fun.
Old 20th Oct 2017, 9:11 pm   #23
MrBungle
Dekatron

Online preview here including ToC. Needs a fairly well stocked workshop to complete: https://www.book2look.com/vbook.aspx?id=9780521177238
Old 20th Oct 2017, 11:36 pm   #24
turretslug
Dekatron

I'm fascinated that it's worth investing in the plant and skills to "freshen up" ICs and the like- how long before KT66s, EM34s etc. become worth zero-houring?! A very different technology and skill-set, granted, but it seems that where there's a will, there's a way.
Old 21st Oct 2017, 6:11 pm   #25
cmjones01
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus25 View Post
I have been quite astonished of late at the re-manufacturing or refurbishing of semiconductors and IC's that has been going from Shenzhen, that doco helps explain some of it.
Yes, it's remarkable. What I find most interesting is this local ecosystem for getting things done. Many of the projects I work on get built in tens or hundreds, which is in the annoying gap between prototyping and mass production. If I could walk round the corner and chat with a selection of eager PCB suppliers, component vendors and assemblers, that would be marvellous.

The recycled components are an interesting one. It's stick my neck out and say that for many uncritical applications nobody really cares about the history of the parts as long as most of them work. I've been stung (fortunately not at my own expense) with supposedly legitimate parts from official distributors which turned out to be anything but. My favourite was some StrongArm SA1100 processors which actually had no silicon inside. I wondered why the boards wouldn't boot up, and after exhausting all the expected possibilities we X-rayed the chips and found nothing in there but a tangle of bond wires. We didn't know whether to laugh or cry!

Chris
Old 21st Oct 2017, 6:46 pm   #26
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

I think if the 'remanufactured' components were sold as such, it would be a very laudable exercise; like many here, I suspect, I'm a supporter of reuse over recycling.
If the better-quality examples were subjected to relability testing, I wonder how they'd fare? Bathtub curves and all that, I know, but at the rate consumer electronics turn over these days, I suspect that many have in reality seen very little prior use.
Old 24th Oct 2017, 8:07 am   #27
mole42uk
Nonode

In my day job I get to repair lots of modern electronic keyboards - from cheapish home use types to expensive professional ones. It is very rare that a semiconductor device fails unless it is part of the power supply. Even those failures are rare compared to the failure of 'user interface' parts, most especially power sockets.

Using parts recycled from the pcbs of most low-power electronics should be quite reliable.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Closed Thread