UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Nov 2017, 6:40 pm   #1
runner_bean
Triode

Default CR100. Coil Pack removal.

Another day another challenge! I need to remove the coil packs from my CR100 but my 45W soldering iron won't touch the wires soldered onto the metalwork of the main tuning capacitor. I would appreciate a recommendation as to what tool I should buy to get over this hurdle. Would a 100w iron be powerful enough?

Many thanks.
Old 20th Nov 2017, 10:56 pm   #2
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: CR100. Coil Pack removal.

This takes me back, the first valve radio chassis-up re-build I did, as opposed to just mending. Yes, the bunched braided straps and coil-box wires associated with the gang capacitor earthing did need a 100W Weller, which did the job quickly and neatly with rounded, shiny joints as they should be. If it's a 45W Weller, I'm surprised that it won't touch them as a thermostatic iron of this rating should at least melt the joint, albeit slowly. Sometimes old solder can be reluctant to melt at first, adding a little fresh 60/40 into the joint may help.
Closed Thread