UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Nov 2019, 2:15 pm   #1
Piccy2valve
Tetrode

Default Mullard MAS 61 next project help

This the next big project i am going to start, i got this last year and now its going to be my winter project.
It has a Mullard label on it (see images) it looks very Phillips like , of which i seem to be drawn to as most of my collection are Phillips.

I am struggling to find any info , schematic etc for it

Does anyone know if it is a phillips badged mullard and if so what chassis it is based on

It needs a good clean inside and out , along with the usual cold checks , the tiny knobs are bass and treble controls with a little glass window below the controls with little curtains move in tandem with the controls movement.

Regards mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191112_111722.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	193615   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191112_111757.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	193616   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191112_111747.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	193617  
Old 12th Nov 2019, 2:38 pm   #2
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: Mullard MA61 next project help

It's a MAS61. I suspect the chassis corresponds to some B3Gxx model (maybe B4Gxx), though the power transformer and coil cans carry Dutch code numbers, indicating the origins of their design. If I read the date codes correctly it could be built as recently as 1963, though it looks more like late 1950's to me.

Does it have FM (VHF)? What's the valve complement? Is there a black label on the inside of the back panel?

Last edited by Maarten; 12th Nov 2019 at 2:58 pm.
Old 12th Nov 2019, 2:48 pm   #3
MurphyNut
Heptode

The Phillips B5X72A looks like the same chassis but with just one speaker, worth looking into.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philips_b5x72a.html
Old 12th Nov 2019, 4:10 pm   #4
Piccy2valve
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
It's a MAS61. I suspect the chassis corresponds to some B3Gxx model (maybe B4Gxx), though the power transformer and coil cans carry Dutch code numbers, indicating the origins of their design. If I read the date codes correctly it could be built as recently as 1963, though it looks more like late 1950's to me.

Does it have FM (VHF)? What's the valve complement? Is there a black label on the inside of the back panel?
Fm no, Pu , Lw, Mw, Sw1, Sw2
No black label on back panel
Valves see image below
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191112_150609.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	193620  
Old 12th Nov 2019, 4:15 pm   #5
Piccy2valve
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyNut View Post
The Phillips B5X72A looks like the same chassis but with just one speaker, worth looking into.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philips_b5x72a.html
Definately has similarities but mine has no fm , will download the schematic and images its a start thank you
Old 12th Nov 2019, 5:23 pm   #6
Walterh
Triode

Default Re: Mullard MAS 61 next project help

Hello

See https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philips_b6if72a.html - also for a schematic.

Best regards, Walter
Old 12th Nov 2019, 5:46 pm   #7
Piccy2valve
Tetrode

Thats the one thank you, have managed to get the schematic but am not a radio museum member so cant get more than 3 pages, will look at list on Paul's data dvd and if is will order a copy.

Maarten
You were spot on with the age.
Old 12th Nov 2019, 7:22 pm   #8
GeoffK
Heptode

The EBC81 looks down to air unless it is just dusty!
Old 12th Nov 2019, 7:49 pm   #9
Piccy2valve
Tetrode

Too new to radio restoration to know that so have cleaned it gently and taken a pic and would appreciate your opinion on its condition

Regards mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191112_183540.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	193638  
Old 12th Nov 2019, 7:51 pm   #10
Maarten
Dekatron

No black sticker, but the white sticker also carries a Dutch code number, which what I was looking for (British made sets mostly had a British code number on said sticker). The Irish origin makes sense. They often used Dutch designs for their sets. Sometimes modified or developed further.
Old 12th Nov 2019, 8:26 pm   #11
GeoffK
Heptode

A valve has vacuum when the top has black shiny 'getter' like the other valves in the radio. This turns white if air leaks in. The valve you have appears to be clear so may have leaked so could be faulty. If you are new to radio repairs and restoration it would be beneficial to read these pages first.
http://www.vintage-radio.com/repair-...ion/index.html

http://www.vintage-radio.com/repair-...lves-work.html
Old 12th Nov 2019, 10:14 pm   #12
Sideband
Dekatron

I suspect the valve is OK....some had getter on the side and I think if you look carefully there is some silvering on the side. Some 'Valvo' brands were like that. The proof will be when power is applied. If it lights up then it has vacuum.
Old 12th Nov 2019, 10:34 pm   #13
Piccy2valve
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffK View Post
A valve has vacuum when the top has black shiny 'getter' like the other valves in the radio. This turns white if air leaks in. The valve you have appears to be clear so may have leaked so could be faulty. If you are new to radio repairs and restoration it would be beneficial to read these pages first.
http://www.vintage-radio.com/repair-...ion/index.html

http://www.vintage-radio.com/repair-...lves-work.html
Geoff
Thanks for the links i will read them and learn from them if the grey cells retain it is another matter . I am new to radio restoration but not electronics , my knowledge though is in modern electronics, including microprocessors such as pic, arduno , rpi etc
Valve radios and their bringing them back to life both fascinates me and scares me a little.
I am keen to learn and understand the dangers so i will read lots , scour this forum for advice , hopefully at the same time give something back to the forum as i believe help should be a two way thing. I have at present around eight radios and a schaub lorenz 5000 which i think for its time was amazing. My aim is to slowly try and bring back to life as many of the radios i have as is possible.
Old 12th Nov 2019, 11:27 pm   #14
Maarten
Dekatron

Searching for the code number on the valve complement sticker comes up with the B4X99A, which has an extremely similar chassis. This is a Dutch export model from 1959, so it's safe to say they were based on a common design.
Old 13th Nov 2019, 9:46 am   #15
GeoffK
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
I suspect the valve is OK....some had getter on the side and I think if you look carefully there is some silvering on the side. Some 'Valvo' brands were like that. The proof will be when power is applied. If it lights up then it has vacuum.

Yes one side does look silvery so could still be a good valve. Nothing to loose by trying it. Before anything else though some of the capacitors will need replacing.