UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Dec 2011, 9:50 pm   #21
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: BVWS Royal Wootton Bassett Meeting 4th December

I've just got back home after a long day. I was unwell earlier this week and am still not feeling great which is why I wasn't up on stage helping with the auction this time. Thanks to Steve Sidaway for standing in.

I am specifically not buying at the moment, and am saving hard for the deposit to buy a flat, so didn't buy anything apart from some excellent food. I also sold 10 lots in the auction and made nearly £300 after commission, which is a good contribution to the savings.

It actually meant I had more time to chat to people during the day.

The earlier start for stallholders and public left us with half an hour less to set up the auction so things did get a bit tight and stressful.

Overall though another excellent day. Indeed for me an excellent weekend because we had a BVWS committee meeting and meal the afternoon/evening before.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 4th Dec 2011, 11:38 pm   #22
Duke_Nukem
Octode

The three items I bunged in the B&B sold, in aid of the Museum - not for much, but all helps.

The event was the busiest I can remember, but I left before the auction as there was too much temptation and I'm under strict orders (from myself) to cut down. Only purchase was a good load of rubber covered wire, but great to meet up with a number of people.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 5th Dec 2011, 12:01 am   #23
Richard
Heptode

Hi

Great day, thanks to all those involved.

Sold a few bits in the B&B, and bought a few odds and ends and a big German FM stereo radio in the auction, it was not planned but will look great in the office at work.

Richard
Old 5th Dec 2011, 11:17 am   #24
SeanStevens
Octode

Thumbs up Re: BVWS Royal Wootton Bassett Meeting 4th December

Many thanks to all organisers - caterers - humpers and shifters.

Another great day out looking at radios and related items!!!!

I managed to be very good and only bought a tired Hacker Democrat (stall) and a 'fish mouthed' speaker (auction) and came away with my wallet relatively in tact.

Ian (my co-pilot and teacher) bought three of the biggest heaviest radios I've ever had to lift!!! One such, an Eddystone, was difficult to lift when it was at 'stage height' and I feared if I placed it on the ground I would never get it back up again.

The best news is that the Hacker and the Eddystone are both doing well in 'post-op' and will make a full recovery!

Thanks Ian for navigating and advice - thanks to all stall holder and to Neil for the PB22 for Ian.

SEAN
Old 5th Dec 2011, 1:03 pm   #25
newlite4
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanStevens View Post
Thanks Ian for navigating and advice - thanks to all stall holder and to Neil for the PB22 for Ian.

SEAN
At least if you had got lost on the way back, you could have both camped out inside the PB22, room enough for two .
Brilliant event as usual, very well attended. Auction prices were high in most instances, which is an encouraging sign.
In three words: Great....Just Great!
Neil
Old 5th Dec 2011, 1:08 pm   #26
howard
Nonode

Hello again,

There were some very nice radios in the auction and of course I couldn't resist buying one or two....

The little Tefag K5A is an interesting AC/DC MW/SW set, built in Germany during WWII in 1941 it has 4 x Y8A base Telefunken valves including rectifier. Its black bakelite cabinet should clean up to near mint, getting replacement parts/valves might be a problem if needed. Hopefully it will have more gain than other German wartime receivers.

I also won another 1938 Philips 470A in very good cosmetic condition, its dial cloth is worn though but exact reproduction cloth is available from Corrien Maas for this model.

I won some other cheap sets, but the best set by far is a 1940 Murphy AD94 which looks to be in mint condition - I've always wanted one of these cos of its stunning design.

From the BVWS stall and tables I also bought 3 dinky ivory 1949 Masterradio Sandown D120s for £15 which should yield two mint sets (didn't the coloured D120s do well in the auction !) and an ivory Bush VHF90 with absolutely no cracks or chips in its cabinet for £11.

So a good day and it was good to meet many folk from the forum there and no doubt a few more success stories are on their way.

Howard

Last edited by howard; 5th Dec 2011 at 1:20 pm.
Old 5th Dec 2011, 1:34 pm   #27
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Good afternoon,
I had a good day and met up with a few people here. I picked up the motor tuned Ekco radio from Dave Moll and hopefully be looking at it soon.

I did not buy too much this time and could not stay for the auction but I did buy that 4 channel digital storage oscilloscope next to the bring and buy stall. This is being looked at and should be working soon.

I also bought a 6Kv power supply on the bring and buy stand. Time to be afraid !!

other than 3 used Mazda octal valves that is all I bought.

Christopher Capener
Old 5th Dec 2011, 4:51 pm   #28
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I was pleased to plug one more gap in my alphabetical list of field telephones by adding a couple of sets "J" to my existing set "D", set "L" and more sets "F" than you can shake a stick at. Now all I need is to find a set "H" costing less than a set of hens teeth.
Old 5th Dec 2011, 5:31 pm   #29
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I noticed you winning those in the auction Dave. Under a tenner I think!

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 5th Dec 2011, 5:58 pm   #30
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Correct apart from the "under".
Old 5th Dec 2011, 9:42 pm   #31
audiomagpie
Heptode

We (self and son Alex) really enjoyed the day and again a big thanks to everyone involved in making it such a great event. Nice to meet up and chat with fellow 'radio nutters', catering excellent as usual.

Picked up some much needed spares for the proposed winter restorations. Too much on the 'round tuit' pile and space getting a bit tight generally precluded me from buying any radios or TVs this time but there were some really good bargains going in the auction.

Greg

BVWS committee chairman
Old 6th Dec 2011, 5:29 pm   #32
neil29
Heptode

I went too. and bought the two items I'd already arranged to collect there. Resisted the temptation to buy anything else . Had a chat with Lee. Thanks to Jeremy(pamphonica) and Jeffrey Borinsky I found the people I needed to meet up with. but I left early as I was rather tired. .

Cheers, Neil.
Old 6th Dec 2011, 7:48 pm   #33
Cobaltblue

A cracking meet
I bought one of Jon's bits ( Car Radio) couldn't resist on the bring and buy even though I promised myself to be good and only bid on 5 items in the Auction (bagged 3).

Jon seems to have a knack of finding the most interesting bits ever
Its clearly British and I thought Cossor , not so sure now but it has Weymouth coils. Well worth restoring its so interesting I think its heading to the top of the pile. Thank you again Jon.

Met some exceptionally nice people.

Ian who kindly brought along the extension speakers all of were very nice and 2 already put to use Thank you Ian very nice to meet you.

Lee brought some cracking bits to put on the bring and buy and I don't think he took too much back very nice to meet you as well Lee

Mike as always did a cracking job both in general and in the Auction.

It was for me a very busy meet and I still feel a bit clapped out.

The good news is it was well worth it

Mike T
Old 7th Dec 2011, 10:55 pm   #34
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Glad the car radio has found a good home! Wish I could help with missing valve types but I originally received it valveless.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 9th Dec 2011, 9:38 am   #35
Bassette
Retired Dormant Member

Yes, Royal Wootton Bassett was my first exposure to so many Vintage radio types. I was there to find an old radio with FM. What I came away with was a Bush VHF62 and there was also a Bush VHF61 which I am told has the same chassis? I could kick myself for not taking the VHF61 home to use as spares.

I have also been advised to have my VHF62 serviced and checked as I want to use the radio daily.
The Bush plays wonderfully and there is not a scratch on the wooden case.
Old 9th Dec 2011, 3:14 pm   #36
Station X

One post moved to a new thread here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=77378

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread