UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 27th May 2019, 11:30 pm   #1
Boulevardier
Octode

Default AVO 8 4mm sockets

Any one know if it's possible to get sockets for the Avo 8 that will take shrouded 4mm plugs? OR to get test leads with right-angled, unshrouded sockets? I'd like to get some right-angled 4mm plugs + leads for my Avo 8, but looking at the CPC catalogue I can't see any without shrouding.

Mike

Last edited by Boulevardier; 27th May 2019 at 11:46 pm.
Old 27th May 2019, 11:52 pm   #2
Paul JD
Pentode

Default Re: AVO 8 4mm sockets

Cut the shroud off with a Stanley knife?
Old 28th May 2019, 12:04 am   #3
Sinewave
Octode

For safety, I buy the retractable shroud leads from CPC, made by Hirschmann.
Old 28th May 2019, 1:59 am   #4
Boulevardier
Octode

"Cut the shroud off with a Stanley knife? "

Thanks Paul. After my original post, I also wondered if that would be the easiest solution. But I do like the idea of shrouded plugs - after making difficult connection to a component, you might want to transfer measurement to another instrument (such as a scope) without disconnecting the component ends of the leads - possibly leaving the plugs wandering around workbench and looking for an "interesting" home for a moment. Unusual circumstance I know, but it happens.. Seems odd that straight unshrouded plugs are easily available, but not apparently right-angled ones.

Mike

Last edited by Boulevardier; 28th May 2019 at 2:04 am.
Old 28th May 2019, 2:02 am   #5
Boulevardier
Octode

"retractable shroud leads"

Thanks Sinewave, sounds like perfect solution. But I've just looked at CPC catalogue, and can't find any leads mentioning retractable shrouds. Can you point me in right direction?

Thanks

Mike
Old 28th May 2019, 5:12 am   #6
TonyDuell
Dekatron

You can get adapters that are effectively a 4mm socket (which is designed so a shrouded plug will fit) to 4mm plug (unshrouded).

For example, from RS :

a 'plain' one :

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/test-...pters/1222780/

one that can be locked in place by an allen setscrew at the bottom of the socket :

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/test-...pters/5071029/

another type :

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/test-...pters/7260647/

Not cheap, but probably worth it if working on high voltage stuff.
Old 28th May 2019, 9:03 am   #7
Sinewave
Octode

Shrouded red

https://cpc.farnell.com/hirschmann-t...st=test%20lead

Shrouded black

https://cpc.farnell.com/hirschmann-t...st=test%20lead
Old 28th May 2019, 12:21 pm   #8
Boulevardier
Octode

Thanks Sinewave and Tony. They look useful, but the essence of what I want is right angled and unshrouded. My workspace has to double as a workbench and as a proofing & editing desk, so the Avo (and other testgear) normally lives in it's leather case on the floor, being brought up occasionally for use as necessary. I use it in it's leather flap-top case, so its useful to be able to leave the probe leads in the terminals for quick use. I could close the case flap with right-angled leads in place, but straight ones stop it closing, so I have to unplug them to put meter away and then fish around for them in the leads compartment when I next use it. Sorry - tortuous explanation! I'm just puzzled as to why a simple thing like an unshrouded right-angled plug seems impossible to get. Perhaps I'll have to go with the suggestion of just cutting off the shrouds.
Old 28th May 2019, 12:31 pm   #9
vidjoman
Dekatron

Why not use these as adapters - they are 'right angled' as they don't stand up from the meter. Available from CPC and others.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2729471-40.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	184008
Old 28th May 2019, 2:45 pm   #10
Sinewave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjoman View Post
Why not use these as adapters - they are 'right angled' as they don't stand up from the meter. Available from CPC and others.

Attachment 184008
I use those to get shrouded leads onto the old Avo's which don't have 4mm terminals.

A point to note with those is that shrouded plugs will fit these terminal adaptors.

https://cpc.farnell.com/tenma/76-079...red/dp/IN07822

https://cpc.farnell.com/tenma/76-078...-me-pd-mi-alte
Old 28th May 2019, 3:54 pm   #11
Boulevardier
Octode

Thanks for those tips. Why didn't I think of the spade adaptors? Genius idea! That's probably the way to go - and will give an even lower profile than angled plugs. I'm a bit puzzled by the maximums rating however - CATIII-1000V, yet the voltage rating is only 30V AC/70V DC. Not sure how that works out.
Old 28th May 2019, 4:08 pm   #12
Sinewave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulevardier View Post
Thanks for those tips. Why didn't I think of the spade adaptors? Genius idea! That's probably the way to go - and will give an even lower profile than angled plugs. I'm a bit puzzled by the maximums rating however - CATIII-1000V, yet the voltage rating is only 30V AC/70V DC. Not sure how that works out.
The voltage rating may be low as the terminal isn't insulated, it's open to access.
Old 15th Jun 2019, 3:35 pm   #13
Boulevardier
Octode

I've tried the spade adaptors, and decided they are too cumbersome and cluttering. The spade bits don't fit the Avo sockets well. Thought I'd try cutting off the shrouds, and that gives a very good and much neater fit, with no bare metal left exposed. I'm happy to bear the very slight risk of fingers contacting plugs on insertion and removal - after all, we all lived happily with that for many decades until very recently...

Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Avo 2.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	185150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Avo 1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	185151  
Old 15th Jun 2019, 5:12 pm   #14
russell_w_b
Dekatron

One of my AVO 8's, ex-BBC Rampisham, is fitted with shrouded sockets (purists look away now, please). It works a treat and was modified to save using those protruding terminal appendages that one secures with an internal grub-screw.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8044233246_6efea17097_z.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	185156  

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 15th Jun 2019, 11:06 pm   #15
Sinewave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulevardier View Post
I've tried the spade adaptors, and decided they are too cumbersome and cluttering. The spade bits don't fit the Avo sockets well. Thought I'd try cutting off the shrouds, and that gives a very good and much neater fit, with no bare metal left exposed. I'm happy to bear the very slight risk of fingers contacting plugs on insertion and removal - after all, we all lived happily with that for many decades until very recently...

Mike
Mine seem to fit fine, I think I may have gently opened them up a little at first to fit the terminal, but they're certainly ok.