UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Oct 2018, 11:52 am   #1
Dillen_de
Tetrode

Default Ceramic wirewound resistors

I would like to get some idea of the value of these resistors, with a view to offering them for sale.

They are all kinds of values from, I think, 75Ohms to 50KOhms in a good and even spread.

The white ones are Vitrohm GL 5W and 10W types (and perhaps a few others).
The others seem to be mil-spec'ed types etc. that I don't know much about.

A dozen or so of them has been used (I can see solder on their tags), but the vast majority appears to be unused.
Some are sorted in bags marked with value.

There's literally hundreds.
I'd say a good 2 Kg of the white Vitrohms, apprx 3,5 Kg of the "mil-spec etc." types
plus a mixed bag (that didn't make it to the photo-shoot) holding around 3-4 Kg.

Mods; If you feel this post belongs in the sales section, please move it. It's just that the sales section
requires an exact price and I have absolutely no idea of the price to set on these - not even sure if there's any interest at all.
The resistors are in Denmark, but I would send them worldwide, should there be interest.

Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vit1.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	171221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vit2.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	171222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mil1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	171223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mil2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	171224  

Last edited by AC/HL; 20th Oct 2018 at 12:23 pm. Reason: Forum rules
Old 20th Oct 2018, 8:52 pm   #2
John10b
Nonode

Default Re: Ceramic wirewound resistors

Hi, if you take a look at the “Offered .......” section of this forum you see how much other members were asking for similar components, this should give you some idea of the value of your components.
Hope that is of some help.
Cheers
John
Old 21st Oct 2018, 2:43 am   #3
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Another (but time consuming) way is to look them up on sites the likes of Mouser or Digikey to find out what the new price is (or for similar ones if the exact ones are not available).

Then do a more accurate count of how many you have and sell them for say 50% of the new price (or whatever percentage you feel is most reasonable).

I can say that at least a couple of the resistors in the third photo do command quite a few $$ for new ones.
Old 21st Oct 2018, 6:29 am   #4
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

It depends on whether your trying to achieve top price, or just raise a few quid. It also depends on whether your after true worth ebay prices or forum prices. Most of us here are either tight with money or hard up. We also tend to sell under "true" value to help each other out.

From the top - true ohm 10w 7 quid ish (£1.50 - £3 forum price), bigger R's like the round W/W £10 up (£5 FP)

Those ones with four terminal's are probably precision resistors as used for four terminal sense measurement's, therefore worth more.

Some value's will be more popular like anything a few hundred ohms for cathode R's on OP stages, so you can ask more.

Andy.
Old 21st Oct 2018, 9:28 am   #5
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Eight - nine Kg is such a large quantity that I think you'd stand a better chance of disposing of them in mixed bags of smaller quantities of maybe 1 - 2 Kg, even though that might seem a bit of a chore. I think that few hobbyists are likely to want to buy the whole lot.

Good luck with them Martin.
Old 21st Oct 2018, 9:50 am   #6
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

I have tried selling some high wattage tubular types, anything from 2.5" to 5 or 6" long with little or mostly no interest at 50p each. A lot of 8 or so in the 1k to 10k 2.5" tubular on ceramic former didnt sell on ebay a couple of years back at £4.99. I gave up. I think the lot ended up in a bag for £1 or so and still nobody was interested at the local rallies. Dont know if sold or thrown out when having a clear out.
Obviously if someone is looking for a specific value and you have it cheap, it should sell well. But to try and sell as job lots, unless really cheap are just another person's junk to hang on to.
Shame really, as these will get more scarce.
Rob
Old 21st Oct 2018, 2:17 pm   #7
Dillen_de
Tetrode

Thanks for all inputs. I really appreciate it.
I am not looking at making top money, it was merely to see, if this was someting, that
could be of value to someone or just junk.
I like the idea of dividing into smaller lots. It could help more people, but the
expensive shipping from Denmark could spoil that idea.
I don't need the lot. It must go.
I will give it some thought.

Thanks again.

Martin
Closed Thread