UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Sep 2018, 9:15 pm   #1
Richard_FM
Octode

Default BRC / Thorn Wired Distribution Sets

While looking through a list of BRC / Thorn model numbers (https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/brc-thorn-chassis-guide/) I noticed some of the models using the 850 chassis were designed for Wired Distribution.

I was wondering if this meant a cable system, or some other kind of closed circuit network like in a hospital or hotel.

I've not heard of BRC / Thorn sets being used on the Rediffusion & British Relay systems, but I might be mistaken.

Oddly the models don't have the same last 2 digits, being HMV 2625, Ferguson 3628 & Ultra 6630.
Old 14th Sep 2018, 10:16 pm   #2
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: BRC / Thorn Wired Distribution Sets

Discussion about the BRC 680 series of TV receivers for Rediffusion and Top Rank cable TV systems.
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=111580
Chassis is a modified Radio Rentals Baird 680 series.

A cable version of the 1500 series single standard receiver was made.
Chassis was designated as the 1579 series. Information can be found in the 1971/72 Radio and Television servicing book.

DFWB
Old 14th Sep 2018, 11:42 pm   #3
Richard_FM
Octode

Thanks for the link, I hadn't realised BRC had made sets for use with Rediffusion cable systems, as they seemed quite self sufficient, making their own TVs.

I know Rank had their fingers in many entertainment pies but didn't realise they were involved in cable TV.

As I mentioned above some hotels & hospitals have their own internal TV systems, as have some schools & colleges, which is mentioned in the link

I remember TV Offal featured a few clips from STOIC (Student Television Of Imperial College) & the Inner London Education Authority made a lot of programming for schools.
Old 15th Sep 2018, 9:50 am   #4
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_FM View Post
I've not heard of BRC / Thorn sets being used on the Rediffusion & British Relay systems, but I might be mistaken.
Oddly the models don't have the same last 2 digits, being HMV 2625, Ferguson 3628 & Ultra 6630.
I have a service sheet for the RF19 (Ferguson), a Rediffusion wired system version of the 800/850 dual standard chassis.
Old 15th Sep 2018, 12:41 pm   #5
MALC SCOTT
Octode

There was a BRC 950 wired set for Rediffusion. I remember these still in service in the late 70,s.
Old 15th Sep 2018, 12:56 pm   #6
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Thorn 979 series chassis, I think.
Old 16th Sep 2018, 9:02 am   #7
Focus Diode
Octode

Perhaps related to this are sets designed to work on 625-line distribution systems that downconverted UHF into VHF channels?

This was easy on dual standard models as some provided links to allow the VHF tuner to function on 625-lines such as the 1400 chassis for example.

Not so easy with single standard UHF only models but upconverters were a convenient substitution. Last time I saw such an arrangement was in the west coast of Scotland in the mid '80s with reception of the usual four channels plus Ulster Television. The set was a modern at the time Ferguson TX100.

I understand the Thorn 3000 chassis had a provision to allow a valved VHF turret tuner to be fitted! Wonder if this was ever done? Doubt it as, unlike many 1500s there wasn't the space allocated to allow such a tuner to be fitted without alterations to the cabinet.

Brian
Old 16th Sep 2018, 9:43 am   #8
toshiba tony
Heptode

I recall having as a teenager a Thorn set (from DER) a 405 only set. All I remember is it had a built in radio, light third and home. On the front both radio and tv was selected by piano keys. And this was motorized. In our area (Huddersfield) reception was impossible. So we had a system called Link. I don't know which chassis the set employed, but would like to. I remember it used to blank the neighbours tv's out when we channel changed. I assume the channel change motor threw that much hash out. Anyone? Thanks.
Old 16th Sep 2018, 11:01 am   #9
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus Diode View Post
I understand the Thorn 3000 chassis had a provision to allow a valved VHF turret tuner to be fitted! Wonder if this was ever done? Doubt it as, unlike many 1500s there wasn't the space allocated to allow such a tuner to be fitted without alterations to the cabinet.
Indeed it did (on early 3000 chassis models only). I bought a "manufacturer's surplus" kit from Manor Supplies in West Hampstead, London, many years ago, and still have it.

The VHF tuner was a standard Thorn turret type, but with EC97 and ECF805 6.3V heater valves and special wideband turret "biscuits". There was a small piece of the front moulding that could be removed, to reveal the standard Thorn monochrome sets VHF tuner fixing.

The tuner came pre-wired to a small power supply board and an IF filter unit. The existing 3000 chopper power module had a 6.3V winding on the mains autotransformer.

It also came with knobs and fitting instructions.

Of course, VHF to UHF up-converters, such as the Labgear "Televerta" appeared and rendered such internally fitted VHF tuner kits unnecessary.
Closed Thread