UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Nov 2017, 11:59 am   #1
Martin Bush
Octode

Default Storing a Bush RP-60

Hello all

I am hoping to box up and store my Bush RP-60 now that I have a "proper" record deck.

The Bush is destined for the loft until such time that I have enough space to have it out and in use and I want to make sure that sending it up there doesn't result in unexpected problems when I unbox it.

The loft is not warm as we live in a terraced cottage. It's not wet, but not what I would call hospitable and I want to avoid things like the idler wheel disintegrating and the platter mat going funny (something I've seen described on here in the past).

Do I need to worry about either thing happening or/ and are there any tips I can follow when packing it up.

I have asked a similar question in the past about radios, but I think this is a bit different due to the materials involved.

Martin
Old 6th Nov 2017, 12:17 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Storing a Bush RP-60

First you need to make sure the unit is well and truly switched off so that the idler wheel is fully disengaged. I would store it flat so that the rubber platter mat does not fold over as it will if it's upright. Screw up the transit bolts. Seure the tone arm. Put it inside a big bin liner but not air-tight so air can get to it and can circulate around it.
Old 6th Nov 2017, 12:20 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Lofts are very variable in their kindness to stuff. Some are almost as good as the house, others are barely better than a garden shed.

If it really has to go in the loft, I would treat it like a cold water tank i.e. remove a small bit of the loft insulation so that it gets a little warmth from the house and then lay insulation (e.g. an old duvet) over the top of it.

Selling it now then buying another if you ever need one might be a better option though.

Nick.
Old 6th Nov 2017, 12:26 pm   #4
ms660
Dekatron

Idler wheel in player for long term loft storage.....remove, put in poly zip bag and put in draw in lounge etc.

Lawrence.
Old 6th Nov 2017, 12:28 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

That's a good plan, Lawrence, though I generally dislike storing machinery "in bits". It would be worth labelling both so that they can be reunited if someone else ends up taking posession of them for whatever reason, or if one's memory becomes hazy (it happens to the best of us!).
Old 6th Nov 2017, 2:11 pm   #6
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I have the Murphy-badged version of this player, mine is stored in the main part of the house. But one thing that bothered me was that the PVC mains cable might attack the plastic turtable platter, etc if left in contact with it for a long period, so I do not store the mains lead bundled up inside the machine as you are supposed to, but I lead it out through the slot you use if playing a record with the lid down and have the cable hanging outside the case.

It can't do any harm to do that anyway.
Old 6th Nov 2017, 2:28 pm   #7
GeoffK
Heptode

Any electromechanical device will suffer if it is not used occasionally, the mechanical parts will have the grease harden and metal to metal parts could seize, the electrolytic capacitors will lose their capacitance and may not reform properly. Any damp will cause corrosion and the paper speaker cone could deteriorate. It would be better to sell it to someone that will use it rather than store it, unless only stored for a short time.
Old 6th Nov 2017, 2:41 pm   #8
Martin Bush
Octode

Thanks all. I will consider all the advice when I start packing.

I can't sell the player - it has sentimental as well as practical value.
Old 6th Nov 2017, 2:57 pm   #9
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
If it really has to go in the loft, I would treat it like a cold water tank i.e. remove a small bit of the loft insulation so that it gets a little warmth from the house and then lay insulation (e.g. an old duvet) over the top of it..
Be careful doing this: you run the risk that moisture (from day-to-day living activities) will migrate through the plasterboard of the roof, into the cooler space in which your player resides - where it will condense (cooler air can hold less moisture).

[Do some research on "vapour barriers" if you want more detail]

I'd look at getting one of the large plastic snap-topped storage bins from one of the DIY "sheds" - put your player inside and then add some sachets of Silica gel and put the lid on. This will help keep out the inevitable loft-dust and other nasties [part of my loft has bats...] too.

Not sure if perhaps "VCI paper" [the brown stuff you often find wrapped round tools] might also be applicable here: my worry with using it would be if the vapour could cause issues with some plastics. I happily use VCI paper round individual parts like variable capacitors stored in my attic; it prevents the formation of those little nodules of white powdery oxide on aluminium VC plates.
Old 6th Nov 2017, 3:42 pm   #10
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Thanks, that's useful.

But do old properties like Martin's actually have effective vapour barriers? Wouldn't the amount of condensation be less if the machine were warmer than if it were colder?

Nick.
Old 6th Nov 2017, 3:49 pm   #11
AC/HL
Dekatron

How about those vacuum bags designed to compact clothes and bedding for storage. Make sure it's large enough not to be strained at the sealed edge.
Old 6th Nov 2017, 4:33 pm   #12
bikerhifinut
Octode

Slide it under the bed?
If there's room and it's the right sort of course!
And if the other half of the relationship is amenable .......

A.
Old 6th Nov 2017, 4:34 pm   #13
bikerhifinut
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
How about those vacuum bags designed to compact clothes and bedding for storage.
And a couple or 3 of those Silica gel moisture absorbers?
Old 6th Nov 2017, 4:35 pm   #14
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
But do old properties like Martin's actually have effective vapour barriers? Wouldn't the amount of condensation be less if the machine were warmer than if it were colder?
With insulation the vapour-barrier should always go on the warm side. if there isn't one then you need one [hence my suggestion of the plastic storage-box - or sit the player on a few square feet of polythene sheet...].

Lofts undergo some very dramatic and extensive temperature-cycles (-15 to +60C!) sometimes quite rapidly, so you can't guarantee that something will stay warm or cold (or dry) merely by placement. Someone I know foolishly decided the loft was a good place in which to install the recorder for his CCTV system... bad move!
Old 6th Nov 2017, 6:18 pm   #15
sp10mk11
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
Idler wheel in player for long term loft storage.....remove, put in poly zip bag and put in draw in lounge etc.
I too go along with that advice, I remove drive belts as well if the system is to be stored long term in my loft.
Good Luck
Gary
Old 6th Nov 2017, 6:35 pm   #16
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Government surplus rubber components always seem to be stored with a coating of talc or French chalk. Is that worth considering for the idler and TT mat?
Old 6th Nov 2017, 10:16 pm   #17
bikerhifinut
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseymo1 View Post
Government surplus rubber components always seem to be stored with a coating of talc or French chalk. Is that worth considering for the idler and TT mat?
Talc and French chalk are mineral powders............... crushed rock. Notwithstanding talc's "non stick" properties. And please no off colour jokes here, those of a certain age know of how certain government issue latex items were packed............ ahem. The simple matter is that I would think that the talc or chalk would have some sort of abrasive properties and anyone who has had to clean these residues off will know how it is the very devil to get off without some form of surface damage. Talc or chalk contamination from a record mat covered in it? No thanks I am afraid.

A.
Old 7th Nov 2017, 10:37 am   #18
astro63
Pentode

If it's a crystal cartridge pick-up I'd remove and put somewhere other than the loft it as the cold etc will most likely destroy it :-(
Old 7th Nov 2017, 11:19 am   #19
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerhifinut View Post
Talc and French chalk are mineral powders............... crushed rock. Notwithstanding talc's "non stick" properties. And please no off colour jokes here, those of a certain age know of how certain government issue latex items were packed............ ahem. The simple matter is that I would think that the talc or chalk would have some sort of abrasive properties and anyone who has had to clean these residues off will know how it is the very devil to get off without some form of surface damage. Talc or chalk contamination from a record mat covered in it? No thanks I am afraid.
ISTR it's recommended to dress Thorens drive belts with talc or similar before they're fitted, but I've never really understood the rationale.

Plenty on the web e.g. https://www.vinylengine.com/turntabl...ic.php?t=30696
Old 7th Nov 2017, 12:06 pm   #20
sp10mk11
Octode

I always thought it, was to help the drive belt move up and down on the motor pulley when changing speed, I am talking Td-160s etc and older

Gary
Closed Thread