UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jul 2010, 9:52 pm   #1
gezza123
Heptode

Default IF Alignment.Codar CR-70

HY Guy,s
My Codar CR-70
Test Before Alignment.

First I found the IF frequency .IE: 470 Kc/s Then I tuned the radio to a known station Magic radio at 1548.I Then did a quick calc of 1548+470=2018Kc/s. I then connected the frequency counter to the Triode grid of the oscillator valve V1 and got a frequency of 2019Kc/s.So I then transfered
the frequency counter to the last IF detector and got a frequency of 471Kc/s.Witch would calc correct +-.%
So my question!)
Is my Receiver IF,stuned correctly,and is my ocsillator running at the correct frequency.so I no need to retune my IF,S.
I have just done the same test again on my newly aquired Ferranti 146 that read 2023 Kc/s and my IF,S read 475Kc/s.so is this a good way to test
your sets alignment before you dive in with the generator.Gezza
Old 22nd Jul 2010, 10:12 pm   #2
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: IF Alignment.Codar CR-70

Your test confirms that the IF is about right, although not necessarily perfect. It says less about the RF alignment, merely that the RF is close enough that signals can be received. A strong station would push past a misaligned RF stage. Strictly speaking all you have confirmed is that your IF response has a peak somewhere near 471kHz.

Bear in mind also that attaching test equipment can shift an oscillator slightly off frequency.
Old 23rd Jul 2010, 9:09 pm   #3
gezza123
Heptode

Default Re: IF Alignment.Codar CR-70

HI.Dave thanks for the quick response,(yes) you were correct so I have now reset my ferranti I.F to 470Kc/s and peaked the I.F,s,the only difference I can find is that the counter set with a high compensation probe gives me an offset of about 3 to 5 Kc/s when I measure the oscillator frequency at the grid of the triode,if I connect at the anode of the triode then it gives me the correct frequency,this may have something to do with the mixing.thanks for the reminder I never gave any thought to offset,only the channel frequency offset,I have never set up a radio alignment before with a signal generator and was confused about the four mixed frequencies.
Thanks again the Ferranti is now superb and now needs cleaning,another job .
Gezza
Closed Thread