UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Dec 2009, 11:29 pm   #1
John GW0OAJ
Diode

Default Racal RA17 - Info/advice wanted.

In connection with this thread......

It would be nice if someone had a consolidated, late stage list of the mod state of the Mk II / III sets - and even better, copies of the mod leaflets. I would be very grateful for any advice on that, rather than just the manual and cct diagrams that I have.

My first snag - rather than go for a dubious refurbish of the shonky AF / IF gain pots (last resort), does anyone know of a source of NoS Colvern WW pots? Where did they all go to? They were 10 a penny then and we did not want them - we wanted the miniature, Gucci, cermet track jobs that are all you get now. When you want a mans pot for a real job....... bah, don't go there.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ra17-1.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	31195  

Last edited by Darren-UK; 22nd Dec 2009 at 12:40 am. Reason: Condensed down to the point.
Old 22nd Dec 2009, 2:44 pm   #2
cmjones01
Nonode

Default Re: Racal RA17 - Info/advice wanted.

I don't know anything about RA17 mods, but Colvern pots are still available from Farnell as far as I can see. Both the 1W CLR1106 series (small black ones) and 3W CLR4001 series (big ones with the red back) are listed. Their website is offline at the moment but a search for those type codes should dig them up.
Old 22nd Dec 2009, 7:11 pm   #3
g4aaw pete
Heptode

Hi John

There are various RA17 manuals at
http://kilocycles.co.uk/uk-commonwealth-rx-tx.html
and descriptions of variants at
http://www.recelectronics.demon.co.uk/ra17.htm

hope this will answer some questions

Regards
Pete
Old 8th Jan 2010, 9:03 pm   #4
John GW0OAJ
Diode

Belated thanks, chaps.

I was aware of those links, but thank you. Already having a Farnell account, I had searched them for suitable pots. I can't get exactly what I want, but I will get something that will do.

John
Old 5th Jul 2010, 12:19 am   #5
amornummi
Triode

Noisy AF gain pot can be cured by putting 1 meg resistor af amp grid to ground, then feed from pot wiper via 0.1 mf.
Another useful trick , to double audio out is to parallel the two audio o/p valves, simply dis the existing wire to V23 grid. Join V23 grid to pin 1 V22. Then connect a 0.47 mf between the two anodes.
Old 8th Jul 2010, 2:50 pm   #6
saxmaniac
Heptode

I can send you a pdf of a manual if you want, just give me your direct email
Closed Thread