UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 29th Sep 2016, 4:40 pm   #1
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Delivery charge back on Farnell orders

A while back Farnell relinquished its handling fee for small orders placed online and on account. Apparently it's now back on, if the order is worth less than £20.
I wish they'd make up their mind.
Old 29th Sep 2016, 5:05 pm   #2
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default Re: Delivery charge back on Farnell orders

That has been like that for quite a while I thought?

Last free order I got from them was a couple of years ago.
Old 29th Sep 2016, 6:26 pm   #3
evingar
Octode

Both RS and Farnell started charging for small order postage a while back for account clients, but for some time we haven't been charged - the last sub £20 Farnell order I put through was over week ago - It's disappointing if they have reinstated it becuase the business we do with them over a year is substantial and must more than cover the occasional small order

All eyes on RS now - what's the betting they follow suit. Both parties have to be careful, becuase the cost of parts from Mouser UK are often substantially lower, even after carriage costs from the US. (and buried import duty costs that are included in the prices)
Old 29th Sep 2016, 8:14 pm   #4
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Oddly, CPC are still doing free delivery for orders over £5.00, but have mildly repositioned themselves as a 'business-to-business distributor' where they previouly seemed to increasingly after the consumer market.
Old 29th Sep 2016, 8:26 pm   #5
MrBungle
Dekatron

CPC lines are shrinking as well.

I've been buying a lot of parts from bitsbox.co.uk recently. Reasonable delivery cost of 1.75 and low quantities available I.e. individual parts. Finding I'm buying what I need to complete something and it turns up the next day via RM. RS use ParcelForce and min quantities are getting ridiculous so it doesn't add up for me now.
Old 29th Sep 2016, 9:36 pm   #6
McMurdo
Dekatron

When I queried the farnell charge the girl said it was a computer glitch and would not appear on the final invoice. As always with farnell and RS, I thought the elevated component prices were to offset free postage, as opposed to say, Rapid where the parts are very cheap but you have to order £30 worth. Swings and roundabouts. The system has worked for years. It's no use having dear parts and minimum order values to boot though.
Old 30th Sep 2016, 7:10 am   #7
MrBungle
Dekatron

Agreed. The thing that annoys me is if I want a few Vishay branded good old fashioned 0.6W MF resistors with known tempco then I have to dodge back and forth between Farnell and RS. Sometimes they're as low as 50p for ten and sometimes as high as 1.60 depending on the value. Different for each vendor. Farnell never ends up cheaper due to delivery so I've stopped looking.

CPC are good on volume on things they have on sale. I can fill one of their standard mailing boxes for less than a min Farnell order.
Closed Thread