UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Dec 2011, 1:41 pm   #1
8 Tracker
Hexode

Default Old stuff online

I'm writning this post (and have been browsing the forum) using a Pentium 1-160, daringly overclocked to 200Mhz, running MS-DOS 6.22 and Dillo for Dos version 3. It's a little slow but everything works as it should, apart from the avatars, which don't display. Even attached pictures display well. Getting Dillo to work properly was a bit of a fiddle, but it seems quite happy now.

Anyone else using ancient hardware on the web?

Mark.
Old 4th Dec 2011, 2:30 pm   #2

Default Re: Old stuff online

My file server/router/email thingy is an old pentium (can't remember which one) running e-smith (a Linux distribution) I think it has been up and running for the last 3 years solid, the last down time was a power cut. Although the connected PCs are a bit more modern. If you don't need graphics (file servers for example) almost anything will be quick enough.

Old 4th Dec 2011, 3:00 pm   #3
terrybull
Octode

I have a Panasonic cf-27 Toughbook. PII 233 with 197 ram. I run various Linux distros on it and find either Slitaz or Antix best for this low spec. It connects wirelessly via a pcmcia card as there is no Ethernet port. However if you search the past posts I know that some members have sucessfully browsed the web with some very ancient modest kit that makes ours look like a quad core beast in comparison.
Old 4th Dec 2011, 3:11 pm   #4
paulsherwin

The challenge with anything pre Pentium is getting any sort of GUI to work acceptably. If you don't need that, you can network anything with a network interface and a TCP/IP protocol stack. A couple of years ago I loaded Minix onto an ancient 286 (20MB disk, 640k memory) and it was perfectly usable as a mail server, disk server and telnet client. The same software could have been used on an original 8088 IBM PC if I'd had one to hand.

I've also used an 8086 without a hard disk as a telnet client, using a packet driver and either NCSA Telnet or MS/DOS Kermit.
Old 4th Dec 2011, 3:59 pm   #5
PaulE27
Pentode

I regularly use a 1995 Dell Pentium 75, which has an overdrive processor fitted and running at 180 MHz. And a 1996 Escom Pentium 75, overclocked to 100 MHz.

I haven't been very adventurous with the operating systems though - still use Windows 95 and Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2. A lot of websites don't display properly now, although this forum works perfectly. Also have Firefox 1.0 which helps out sometimes.

Incidentally I also have a 1994 Dell Netplex which has a 486 DX2/66 processor and 32 MByte of ram, it will also run Win 95 / IE5.5 but is very slow.

Paul

Last edited by PaulE27; 4th Dec 2011 at 4:07 pm.
Old 6th Dec 2011, 6:51 pm   #6
8 Tracker
Hexode

It seems I am not alone in keeping old hardware going. Nice to hear that others have found a use for obsolete PCs as well. I had never tried DOS networking before, so the experience was a learning curve.

Paul, I agree about GUIs on pre-pentium machines. They just can't hack it with modern programmes. Win 3.11 is about all you can do. I haven't looked to see if there are any modern enough web browsers for this kicking around.

I enjoy trying out different OSs on old machines and am always on the lookout for new ones to try. Now I have a few more to try, thanks everyone.

Mark.
Old 7th Dec 2011, 9:31 am   #7
terrybull
Octode

I do suggest Mark that you have a look at Linux and play with it. It certainly gets the grey matter ticking and there are distros that can breath new life into older hardware. The problem with Windows 9x is there are no mainstream (if any worthwhile) anti virus programs that support it. I do occasionally find that a 2Ghz P4 with a gig of ram is considered to be a 'slower machine'.
Old 8th Dec 2011, 6:47 pm   #8
DragonForce
Retired Dormant Member

I remember the days of sending email on an old ZX Spectrum, and even an Amiga A600 can surf the web - there are at least two web browsers written for the old Amiga. The A600 has a PCMCIA slot for an ethernet adapter, many things were possible!
Old 8th Dec 2011, 9:42 pm   #9
8 Tracker
Hexode

Hi Terry,
I have been dabbling with Linux for years and tried quite a few different distros. I agree, it certainly makes you think a little bit harder than just starting up Windows and sleepwalking along. I like that fact that certain versions are put together especially for older computers. They also seem to pick up network cards and get online without any input from me.
Mark.
Old 8th Dec 2011, 10:26 pm   #10
paulsherwin

Lightweight Linux distros will work on fairly old hardware, but the problem tends to be the applications. Your P200 will probably run Damn Small Linux or Puppy Linux reasonably well if you have 256MB of memory (128MB may just be enough, but there won't be much left for the applications). Just about any Linux distro will run on this hardware if you don't need the GUI. The best full featured GUI distro to try is Lubuntu, though this will struggle with less than 512MB.
Old 10th Dec 2011, 10:25 am   #11
Panrock
Nonode

I am posting this on a 1996 'Pentium' (presumably that must mean Pentium I?) 100MHz processor with 32MB of RAM, running new-fangled Windows 98 and Internet Explorer 5.5. Still does the job - why change it?

Steve
Old 12th Dec 2011, 12:17 pm   #12
SteveCG
Nonode

Don't forget the Apple G3 and G4 machines - these can run OS X Panther and Tiger which still have useful applications available. Indeed The G4s can run earlier versions of Fedora Linux - the ppc versions. Ebay usually has quite a few listed at modest prices - provided you can pick them up in person.
Closed Thread