UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Aug 2005, 6:20 pm   #1
Woody
Retired Dormant Member

Default Cleaning Of cabinet Coverings.

What is the best way of cleaning the vinyl like covering on radio and record-player (etc) cabinets ?.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 5th Jun 2007 at 11:15 pm. Reason: Wording made more appropriate.
Old 20th Aug 2005, 10:38 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Cleaning Of Box Coverings

If you're just talking about plain old dirt, we are looking at warm, soapy water with a soft cloth and an old toothbrush for those awkward corners, or hard surface foam cleaner, or simply a good furniture polish and a soft cloth.

Paint spots will wipe off with persistence and a damp cloth if it's emulsion - which it usually is.

Some points to mention are:

1. Take care of any liquids getting into/onto any of the electrics.

2. Warm water can soften the glue which affixes the vinyl/rexine.

3. Don't rub/scrub too hard as this may remove the dye and leave 'bald' areas.
Old 24th Aug 2005, 1:13 pm   #3
Neil Purling
Nonode

The Ferguson I have bought is filthy and I was wondering about using the foaming cleaner. Whether it would lift the dirt out without harming the surface of the vinyl? Any favoured products?
Old 24th Aug 2005, 1:45 pm   #4
paulsherwin

I've found the bathroom foaming cleaners to be fine on most surfaces - you can even use them to clean speaker fabric if you're careful. The foam cleaners designed for kitchen use are more caustic and I wouldn't use those.

Best regards, Paul

Last edited by Darren-UK; 5th Jun 2007 at 11:11 pm. Reason: Out-of-date retail price reference removed.
Old 24th Aug 2005, 7:00 pm   #5
Neil Purling
Nonode

Well, first I was going to dust the case to remove what is loose, using a dry paint brush & tooth brush for the corners.
Since I am working on a record player I have to work on the mechanics & electronics before I see to the finishing touches.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 5th Jun 2007 at 11:10 pm. Reason: Out-of-date retail price reference removed.
Closed Thread