UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Apr 2019, 8:42 pm   #1
Karen O
Rest in Peace

Default AM to VSB changeover

I was surprised to learn recently that the switch to vestigial sideband, as a more bandwidth economic replacement for straight amplitude modulation, occurred during the 405 era, and not with the introduction of 625, as I had previously assumed.

What was the consequence of this for people with AM sets? Were they stuffed (to use the vernacular)?
Old 21st Apr 2019, 8:59 pm   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: AM to VSB changeover

As far as I understand, VSB was designed to be received on a receiver meant for full AM.
Old 21st Apr 2019, 9:07 pm   #3
FERNSEH
Dekatron

The Alexandra Palace transmitter used a double vision sideband transmission characteristic. When it was replaced in 1955 by the channel B1 Crystal Palace TX a vestigial vision sideband was used. This presented a problem with certain receivers which were aligned to the upper sideband. The Baird T5 I'm presently restoring was aligned in such a manner. Another TV receiver that comes to mind was the Ultra V470.
AP was the only 405 line transmitter to use DSB.
I believe that in the last few years of the UK analogue system I the vestigial sideband was trimmed back from 1.25Mhz to 0.75Mhz. Please confirm if the latter figure is correct.

DFWB.
Old 22nd Apr 2019, 8:47 am   #4
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

A legacy of that was the larger frequency jump between channel 1 and 2, compared with the other band I channels.
Old 22nd Apr 2019, 9:35 am   #5
Panrock
Nonode

A description I found on file of the VSB curve relative-to-carrier reads as follows (Ch1 frequencies in brackets). I am not sure of its original source:

Fc = 0dB (45.0 MHz)

Fc + 0.75MHz (45.75 MHz) = -3dB or lower

Fc + 2MHz (47.0 MHz) = -30dB or lower

Steve

Last edited by Panrock; 22nd Apr 2019 at 9:43 am. Reason: Clarity
Old 22nd Apr 2019, 10:34 am   #6
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Response curves taken from the manual of the Mullard AC1 experimental TV receiver.
This was a TRF receiver aligned to the upper sideband. Note the lift in the HF end of the response curve in order to enhance the video upper frequencies.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MullardAC1_!.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	181636   Click image for larger version

Name:	MullardAC1_2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	181637  
Closed Thread