UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Dec 2006, 6:40 am   #1
LanceM
Retired Dormant Member

Default Can 405 line videotape be played back on other media?

Hello,

I was wondering if 405 line videotape can be played back on other mediums. For example what machine might a play a recording from a peto scott model, or Phillips EL series ? I am doing some school related research and could use some input.

Thanks, Lance.
Old 7th Dec 2006, 9:27 am   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: 405 line videotape question

AFAIK, this physical tape format was unique to these machines. Other 1" machines (such as Ampex 5xxx/7xxx and IVC) will not play these tapes.

The line standard is less important - these machines lock to the field pulses and merely replay any line pulses as they were recorded.
Old 12th Dec 2006, 7:50 pm   #3
Mikey405
Octode

Default Re: 405 line videotape question

Hi Lance.

Just to add to what PPPPenguin has already said: I think the Philips EL3400 will happily play back the 1" tapes recorded on the Peto Scott E2770, and I believe (although I have never tried it) that the Philips LDL1200 will also play back tapes from the Peto Scott. The Philips EL3402 won't play back EL3400 or Peto Scott tapes however.

Hope this helps Lance.

From Mike.
Old 14th Dec 2006, 4:39 am   #4
LanceM
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: 405 line videotape question

Thank you mikey,

I have sent you a message regarding the question you just answered. So please accept my apology on this. I appreciate all the info, it helps quite a bit.

Thanks, Lance.
Closed Thread