UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Aug 2018, 10:44 am   #21
IanG3XYV
Pentode

Default Re: R107 army receiver

I actually used my complete R107 as a tunable IF with a crystal controlled converter I built in front of it to give me coverage of at least the 15M band. Worked very well but of course there were sun spots in those days and I remember working lots of American novice licenses, WN.... etc who seemed to frequent the band.

Now, where is that old logbook?

Ian
Old 1st Aug 2018, 11:07 am   #22
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Yes that was very common Ian wasn't it! I can see that the tuneable IF would have been a good combination of sensitivity combined with the [already mentioned] surprisingly good selectivity on the R107. I'm still trying to work out what I thought I was going to do with the 465K IF [653 metres]. Perhaps I thought the MW Band could be stretched a bit beyond 600? I think I'm getting mixed up somewhere but I do remember [vividly] my disappointment at not being able to buy that "Front End".

Dave
Old 1st Aug 2018, 2:02 pm   #23
Scimitar
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
I found myself sitting stranded 1/4 of the way down the stairs with the AR88 on my lap and no strength to do anything about it.
Kermit, that you?
Old 1st Aug 2018, 2:34 pm   #24
short wave
Pentode

Had 2 dry joints on one i worked on ("band- width" switch and ?cant remember!)NOTE Invert the vibrator ( or take out) on mains operation, and beware high voltage is present on the "3 pronged" plug
info..http://www.radiomuseum.co.uk/r107.html
regards S-W
Old 1st Aug 2018, 2:52 pm   #25
llama
Octode

I used mine in the late '60s with an RF24 ahead of it. VQ4RF on 15m SSB was a station I heard often.
Graham
Old 1st Aug 2018, 3:11 pm   #26

Quote:
You're doing a good job of convincing me to get it working
The whole raison d'ĂȘtre of a radio is to receive radio stations, it deserves no less than that.

Imagine... (wavy lines across film)
A cold winters day in the workshop, radio warming it up with the Home Service on, can't get much better.

Old 16th Aug 2018, 7:03 pm   #27
James Duncan
Pentode

I have two of these R107 radios in my shed if anyone is interested is restoration?
Old 17th Aug 2018, 11:15 am   #28
carnivalpete
Tetrode

As a fan of Eddystone Elegance I'm afraid I look at all that steel work on the R107 in horror. Real heavy engineering. Still, best of luck to all with their restoration labours. It's a creditable aim to keep all vintage equipment going for as long as possible.

Ref photographs in G4XWDJim's note of 31st July: I note that four of the bottles are laid horizontally. Not all that uncommon I suppose but a question occurs to me. My belief has always been that valves are designed to operate and dissipate their heat vertically. Sorry if it's a daft question, but is there any potential downside to operating valves in this way? regards, pete.
Old 17th Aug 2018, 11:54 am   #29
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Valve manufacturer's data sheets usually give guidance on the mounting orientation, I understand only a minority aren't happy in any orientation. Probably high-power devices, or concern that a long filament can sag when hot. Mercury-vapour rectifiers can be sensitive, I know the data sheet for the type 83 says it must be mounted vertically, but it works quite happily horizontal in the I-177b valve tester!

Andy
Old 17th Aug 2018, 12:22 pm   #30
G4XWDJim
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalpete View Post

Ref photographs in G4XWDJim's note of 31st July: I note that four of the bottles are laid horizontally. regards, pete.
The horizontal valves are all carried there as spares. You'll probably notice that there are no connections to the top caps.

Jim
Old 17th Aug 2018, 6:59 pm   #31
carnivalpete
Tetrode

Oops!!! Tks Jim. Note to self: open eyes before mouth. pete
Closed Thread