UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jul 2016, 5:40 pm   #1
G8BBZ
Pentode

Default Multitone Paging transmitter

Hi All,
I have been given a very nice 25w FM paging transmitter, currently crystalled for 147.80MHz. The label says Multitone and the model number appears to be TA666 but there is a label saying "Made in Quincy, Illinois" and the style of assembly is certainly american, probably 70's or early 80's.
I would like to try and convert this for use on 2m. as it is so close already, and wonder if anybody out there might have any info on the equipment - a circuit diagram would be ideal!
cheers
Peter G8BBZ
Old 13th Jul 2016, 8:59 pm   #2
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Multitone Paging transmitter

Interesting. The early Multitones worked on about 27MHz, the Tx running a 6146 PA and the receivers had an AF114 receiver sending AF in to a few OC71's. Sounds as though at some later stage, they went to VHF FM using badged equipment from the US.

B
Old 13th Jul 2016, 10:55 pm   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

Multitone is a UK company, set up by a Russian immigrant in the late 50s. They do have a Canadian distributor, and presumably also source internationally.
Old 14th Jul 2016, 11:36 am   #4
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

Peter, you could try asking Multitone directly for information. If the Tx is obsolete , by their standards, then they might send you circuit details or even a manual. I have done this direct approach several times and if you are polite and honest then usually the company will help.

Malcolm
Old 14th Jul 2016, 9:17 pm   #5
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I used to work on these things back in the eighties for the Fire Service. The frequency sounds about right so you may have an ex Fire unit, or maybe RNLI. From memory they were very reliable so I can't remember much about the units we had apart from they ran off a 24VDC battery supply and were triggered by a telephone line. I doubt whether they would be synthesised, probably just crystals, so it may not be too difficult to convert. It may be you have a different version to the ones I maintained as I imagine the units would be marketed to a variety of users.
Old 15th Jul 2016, 12:53 pm   #6
G8BBZ
Pentode

I thought that there was something familiar about the frequency - it's the one used for Fireman's Alerters isn't it? I had a Pye unit on the same frequency some time ago.
The transmitter is crystal controlled and the RF side seems quite straightforward, but the modulator card has a phase locked oscillator on it which I don't understand and the control arrangements are difficult to backtrace - I haven't managed to get the unit to Transmit yet, despite there being an input marked Keying Line. Also, there appears to be inputs for Tone, Voice and Digital, with lots of pots for adjusting levels and modulation etc. I am still trying to work out what the Digital input does.
I may try contacting Multitone, as suggested.
cheers
Peter G8BBZ
Old 16th Jul 2016, 10:44 am   #7
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Alas it's *just* outside the new extended up-to-147MHz 2M-band, so shouldn't be too hard to move it.

I wonder if there'd be much in the way of opportunities for POCSAG pager-protocol QSOs if you do get it working? Could be an interesting 'classic digital' mode in the same spirit as RTTY.
Closed Thread