UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Nov 2018, 12:28 pm   #1
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Default Smiths Sectric model CA Dissection!

Prompted by another thread about the motors in these I thought I'd have a go at this rather nice marbled cased version.

I thought that these electric clocks were quite easy to overhaul, having done several non alarm clock versions, but this one really stumped me! The clock itself worked OK when tried, but it needed a good clean as someone in the past has blasted the whole thing with WD40, and there was gunk everywhere. The wiring looked rather scary too.

Once the movement was out of the case it was fairly easy to remove the motor, and the buzzer, popped a couple of E clips off to release a couple of gears, but couldn't get the alarm setting bits apart! It seems it was assembled by heating parts, shoving them into place and leaving to cool, and I have no way of undoing that, not without causing major damage anyway.

I got it as far apart as I could then drenched it in white spirit and gave it a scrub, loads of brown slime came away! It would have been nice to get all the gears separated from the plates, but I think I got the worst of the gunk.

Once dry I reassembled it, oiled it with clock oil, and gave it a test run. I also spent a while faffing with the alarm setting to make sure it lined up with the dial! The case was polished up with Bakelite polish, and it's now waiting for a new flex to finish it off.

Regards,
Lloyd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6086.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	172691   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6089.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	172692   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6090.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	172693   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6092.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	172694   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6094.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	172695  

Old 12th Nov 2018, 12:29 pm   #2
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Default Re: Smiths Sectric model CA Dissection!

One last pic...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6095.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	172696  
Old 12th Nov 2018, 12:46 pm   #3
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Well done, Lloyd! What you have there is the slightly earlier version of the type CA. The manufacturer's instructions apparently state: "...pull off the 24-hour wheel using an extractor to avoid damage. This wheel is a very tight fit on the alarm spindle..."

Incidentally, I found that the readily-available 0.75 sq mm vintage-looking fabric covered twisted twin flex is too large to fit in the slot at the bottom of the case and be held by the cable gripper. I think it was designed to accept flat twin flex. I've ordered some 0.5 sq mm cable instead.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 12th Nov 2018, 1:06 pm   #4
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Cheers Phil

I’ll have to invest in some proper clock tools, I seem to be working on more and more clocks these days. I did find some nice 3 core fabric cable in 0.5mm sq for another Sectric clock with bijou movement, it was a very tight fit but it went in! There looks to be room for it in this clock, there was even a rubber cable grommet still in place.

Regards
Lloyd
Old 12th Nov 2018, 1:17 pm   #5
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

The rubber grommet’s not original, Lloyd. There should be a thin, flat Bakelite wedge that slides in and clamps the cable in the slot. When I get round to replacing the flex on my friend’s CA I’ll take a photo.

Likewise, I do more clocks than radios myself nowadays!

Old 18th Dec 2018, 12:27 am   #6
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Bother! I forgot to photograph the cable entry for you, and the clock is now over 30 miles away Sorry, Lloyd.

Suffice it to say that 0.5 sq mm modern twisted pair replica ‘vintage’ flex is a good fit in the cable channel.

Old 18th Dec 2018, 11:32 am   #7
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Ah, never mind! I’d actually forgotten about this clock! I haven’t even ordered the cable yet, something to sort out over Christmas

Regards
Lloyd
Old 18th Dec 2018, 12:54 pm   #8
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

For what it’s worth, after trawling through many suppliers’s web sites, I ordered my 0.5 sq mm flex from “lampsandlights” and was very pleased with the quality. I’ve no connection other than as a satisfied customer.

Old 18th Dec 2018, 3:11 pm   #9
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Found it! There should be a thin (<1mm) wedge-shaped piece of Paxolin sheet with a slot cut part way down. This engages with the raised sides of the mouldings at the far end of the slot in the base of the clock. The tip of the Paxolin is shaped to fit the slot in the back; you can see it protruding above the flex and clamping it in place. The arrangement is quite ingenious but only suits a limited range of flex sizes.

I just wish I’d remembered to take more photos

Phil
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A40FB15A-5E7D-4160-AAC4-B19C6EBD4A69.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	174845  

Old 18th Dec 2018, 4:19 pm   #10
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Interesting, I’ll have a good look at the inside of the case and see if I can make up a new one, I’ve got some Paxolin kicking about somewhere, so should be able to!

Regards
Lloyd
Old 18th Dec 2018, 6:21 pm   #11
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

From memory, its shape is something very approximately like the attached. A scrap of thin PCB material might suffice - preferably without the copper!

Phil
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2B10F88C-6BCD-4A30-8EC8-DE237800EEB1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	174855  

Closed Thread