UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jul 2022, 9:51 pm   #1
Bill
Pentode

Default STC engine analyser

Split from this thread
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...19#post1482719

I have here an STC "Engine Indicator" which looks like a large quite sophisticated 'scope.
Works from 12vDC or 240v AC , about 12 valves and many terminals to connect to unknown sensors that I don't have. It has two accurately made moving cursors on the 6inch screen.About 1955 vintage, probably useless now but very well made. It would have measured ignition systems as well as a lot of other IC engine characteristics
Old 4th Jul 2022, 11:49 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: STC engine analyser

Are you entirely sure it's for internal combustion engines?

"Indicator" is a key word, not normally used for internal combustion engines because it was used for a very specific instrument for measuring the power input and efficiency of steam engines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indicator_diagram

I'm just wondering whether you've come across an electronic one made to work with pressure and angle transducers, giving real-time plots of engines running at speed.

Alternatively, were STC copping a free ride on the name of an earlier machine?

David
Old 5th Jul 2022, 12:24 am   #3
fetteler
Octode

It would be very interesting to see some photos if possible Bill.

Steve.
Old 5th Jul 2022, 4:52 am   #4
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I happen to have a book to hand titled 'Modern Oil Engine Practice' dating from 1942. It mentiones in passing the 'Cathode Ray Indicator' which seems to be an electronic version of the pressure-volume plotting instrument conventionally called an 'indicator' and could well be an earlier version of this STC unit. Whether it was also used with spark-igntion engines as well as the compression ignition ones described in said book I do not know.
Old 5th Jul 2022, 9:43 am   #5
Bill
Pentode

Here it is(i think)!
David may have a point about it being for steam engines, off topic, I have also got a Dobbie McInnes Indicator set, purely mechanical with rotating drum ,graph paper and string, a beautiful thing indeed!
My mistake ,it's 12volt DC only
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0535.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	260434  

Last edited by Bill; 5th Jul 2022 at 10:10 am. Reason: Further info
Old 5th Jul 2022, 1:53 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

Dobbie McInnes Indicator is definitely steam.

David