UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jul 2008, 7:15 pm   #1
Variometer
Retired Dormant Member

Default Baseboard mounting B7G etc

For years, it has annoyed me that no satisfactory baseboard-mounted valveholder was ever developed for anything more more that B4, B5 or B7.
I am a great fan of B7G & B9A & Octal valves. When I made my own valveholder for an Acorn 955 a few weeks ago, it suddenly came to me that this was the answer. Today, I have made my first B7G baseboard-mounted valveholder & it looks great. I drilled a B7G size hole in a piece of 3mm black acrylic & then drilled the terminal holes round the edge of it. Then I cut out the outer circle of the base. The conventional (chassis) B7G holder was bolted in with the countersunk screws upwards, same as the connections. Wiring to connections completed below the holder with thin tinned copper wire. Uses lots of solder tags, brass nuts & bolts, but looks great.
Hole must me drilled in basebaoard to accommodate pins of valveholder. They are clipped off short to minimise this. The three adjacent solder tags are control grid, screen grid & anode. The two opposite are the filament connections. This leaves me with a good-looking & re-useable valveholder.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B7g Baseboard valveholder (Medium).JPG
Views:	117
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	18546  
Old 17th Jul 2008, 9:25 pm   #2
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Default Re: Baseboard mounting B7G etc

Another neat job!

It is possible to get Octal baseboard mounting sockets.

RS do them as relay bases and they aren't too expensive either!

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R403853-25.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	18548  
Old 18th Jul 2008, 7:31 am   #3
Variometer
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Baseboard mounting B7G etc

Thanks for reply. I have seen the octal ones, but they are a bit too clumsy for my liking &, as you say, rather expensive.
All this came about because I find it too messy & time consuming to make PCBS & with chassis construction it is very difficult to get it all neat. I don't make a lot or radios, but when I do, they are usually baseboard types these days.
Bob
Closed Thread