UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jun 2008, 4:24 pm   #1
cinema1
Tetrode

Default Reproduction vintage TRF radio repair.

Hello,
could any one help with the follow,
I have built a two valve trf radio the valves they are EF36--6J5 i built it from practical wireless, It is a medium wave radio.
Radio lancashire is the dominant station i receive, I can just pick up five live in the back ground. (CAN NOT TUNE ANY OTHER STATIONS)
The rf signal at the anode of the EF36 is coupled back through a trimmer capacitor to to the grid circuit of the EF36.
When i ad just the trimmer with my hand the radio comes alive with stations
take my hand away and the stations become week.
does any body know why.
THANK YOU. ERIC.
Old 30th Jun 2008, 4:59 pm   #2
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Default Re: Reproduction vintage TRF radio repair.

First of all, welcome to the forum!

Secondly I hope you don't mind but I've re-titled this to make the subject of the thread a little clearer.

Thirdly, and more to the point, what sort of aerial are you using? This would probably have been designed for use with the ubiquitous long wire so common until the ens of the 1960s.

Try a few feet of wire draped around the picture rail or similar. You are acting as an aerial capacitively coupled to the trimmer and that's why the performance increases when you touch it or bring your hand close to the front end.

Regards,
Old 30th Jun 2008, 5:44 pm   #3
Variometer
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Eric,
Are you able to show us a circuit of the set? Normally, the feedback is via a small variable capacitor into a coil wound either next to, or over the grid coil. This is the reaction coil. If it is connected the wrong way round, you won't get any feedback and maybe your hand was supplying it instead. With two valves, the stations should be coming in at a very good volume!
Bob
Old 1st Jul 2008, 1:33 pm   #4
cinema1
Tetrode

HI, BRIAN--moderator.
BOB--VARIOMETER.
I will try the aerial wire suggested by brian.
I will reverse the reaction coil connections suggested by BOB.
kind regards, ERIC.
Old 1st Jul 2008, 2:43 pm   #5
PJL
Dekatron

As well as the wise advice about aerials I would mention that you will never get the set to work properly with capacitive coupling from your hand to the reaction control. As soon as you move your hand away the reaction setting will be wrong.

The coupling could be via the knob or through the front panel. Try a big plastic knob, reverse the connections to the variable capacitor, or screen the inside of the front panel...Peter
Closed Thread