UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Aug 2010, 7:42 pm   #1
Bensdad
Tetrode

Default Hitachi Radio Cassette Player

I have a portable Stereo Radio Cassette Player (Hitachi) circa 1980.
It has given superb performance over the years but sadly today the cassette player seems to have given up and I know not why.
In playback mode nothing is happening , there is no noise or anything and the tape transport lights illuminate momentarily .
In fast forward / rewind mode ; there is an audible sound as though a motor is spinning and also the tape transport indicator lights are working BUT the tape spindles are not rotating.
Does anybody have any ideas as to what could be the problem or where to start looking or is there anybody out there who repairs these units.
I really do not want to consign this to the dustbin as it has been mine since my teenage years !
Old 21st Aug 2010, 7:49 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Hitachi Radio Cassette Player

At a guess, the drive belt has failed. After all it has done 30 years. Get the old one out and go to Maplin.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 21st Aug 2010, 7:56 pm   #3
Bensdad
Tetrode

Hi ;
I have had a look inside the unit (not for the faint hearted) I cannot see any broken belts , indeed that was my first thought that a belt had broken !
There seems to be more than one belt , and its not easy to find out what they do , the belts seem to be a bit on the loose side too.
Old 21st Aug 2010, 7:58 pm   #4
Steve_P
Dekatron

One might have got too big and slipped off somewhere. Get it thoroughly apart and have a good look.

Photos help here.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 21st Aug 2010, 8:01 pm   #5
paulsherwin

Old belts rarely break. They go hard and stretch. Most 30 year old belts are on the way out by now.

It can be tricky to change them, but there's no alternative. As Steve says, you can buy replacement belts in Maplins, or ebay sellers can supply sets of about 13 differently sized belts for around £6.

Paul
Old 21st Aug 2010, 9:38 pm   #6
boomboxcat
Retired Dormant Member

What model number is it?I've experienced stretched belts before-used to have a sharp gf 9090 with same problem-one day it was fine the next it just packed in.try your best to replace the belts,but be careful!good luck-and post us a pic!
Old 21st Aug 2010, 10:24 pm   #7
Bensdad
Tetrode

Hi
There is a deathly silence when the play button is pressed down , yet when fast-forward or rewind are pressed I can hear something which I assume is the motor , also the tape transport LEDs are working.
Would these factors still point to a belt which is in need of replacing?
Old 21st Aug 2010, 11:27 pm   #8
Bensdad
Tetrode

The model is Hitachi TRK-8155E , photograph attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TRK-8155e.jpg
Views:	1585
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	39667  
Old 21st Aug 2010, 11:54 pm   #9
Steve_P
Dekatron

A photo of the deck (inside!) may help.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 22nd Aug 2010, 7:00 pm   #10
Bensdad
Tetrode

I have now dismantled this unit and found that the main drive belt is indeed very slack and had come away from the flywheel inside the unit , I have reseated this and the unit will now rewind & fast forward tapes.
HOWEVER , my main concern is that when the drivebelt is detached from the motor pulley and the unit is put in play mode , the motor will rotate for a fraction of a turn then stop ! ; it does not do this in fast forward or rewind and spins as one would expect !!
Does this point to something a bit more sinister with the motor ?
Please help , I would like my stereo working again.
Photos attached of cassette mechanism showing motor , loose main drive belt and also the main circuit board.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0497.jpg
Views:	1446
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	39690   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0498.jpg
Views:	1331
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	39691   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0499.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	39692  
Old 22nd Aug 2010, 7:06 pm   #11
Steve_P
Dekatron

Start with new drive belts. Then a good clean

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 22nd Aug 2010, 7:47 pm   #12
Bensdad
Tetrode

I wondering if this needs more than new drive belts and cleaning.
Referring to the attached photograph which shows the motor with an arrow against it .
This will fast forward and rewind (at speed) when the relevent cassette controls are pushed down , HOWEVER , when playback is pushed , the motor will turn for an absolute fraction of a second and stops , its as though insufficient power is getting to it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Publication1.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	39701  
Old 22nd Aug 2010, 7:53 pm   #13
Steve_P
Dekatron

There may (I haven't got the manual to hand) be some protection acting here. There is no cassette in and the belts want changing. Do as I've said above and then try it.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 22nd Aug 2010, 10:15 pm   #14
love kt3
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,theres a small leaf-switch that activates the motor when any of the keys are pressed-find it and clean it. You might have to bend the leaves a bit to get better contact.
Old 22nd Aug 2010, 10:28 pm   #15
Bensdad
Tetrode

Thanks for the leaf switch tip ! ; Any clues as to whereabouts this is hidden ??
I will re-iterate that there is no problem with fast-forward and rewind-these functions are working fine , the problem is only apparent when attempting to play a tape !
Old 22nd Aug 2010, 10:49 pm   #16
jobsworth
Tetrode

Dear Bensdad

I have a couple of much loved hitachi tape machines that require regular "treatment". There are some common features with yours by the look of things

A stab in the dark here but have you checked if the cue and review functions work, normally you will also get audio output when doing cue and review. I would also have a look at the functioning of the mechanical parts if you can when you select play mode as I can see that there is a couple of rubber faced wheels there which may not be working so well if they are in contact during play mode. I noticed what looked like a solenoid on the circuit board, its the square silver box. Sometimes this just manages the power to the unit, you may hear it click when you turn the unit on, it may be wise to have a quick look to see if it is OK.

Regards

Chris F
Old 23rd Aug 2010, 12:23 am   #17
Bensdad
Tetrode

Even more puzzling now ! ; `review` function works with audio present albeit very fast as one would expect ! ; however `cue` function does not work !!
Is the general opinion that there is a switch problem somewhere ??

When the unit is in `review` mode , ie it is in playback with rewind key pressed down ; when the rewind key is released , the tape will play for a fraction of a second , then stop !
Old 23rd Aug 2010, 12:56 am   #18
Bensdad
Tetrode

Incidentally , on previous occasions or when the cassette deck hadnt been used for a while , sometimes tapes were playing sluggishly , this was corrected by stopping and starting the deck a few times and/or disconnection from the mains.
Old 23rd Aug 2010, 10:34 am   #19
Bensdad
Tetrode

Another observation I made was when the play button is fully depressed (ie locked in place) there is no action , BUT , if it is pressed so far down before it locks into place , cassettes play as normal - Hope this makes sense
Old 23rd Aug 2010, 10:39 am   #20
paulsherwin

If the main capstan belt was so slack that it came off the pulley, it is definitely bad. There's no point in doing further fault finding until this is changed. Slipping belts can cause all sorts of puzzling symptoms.

You may be able to revive the old belt temporarily by boiling it. Put it in an old saucepan and cover it with a couple of inches of water and add a teaspoon of washing powder. Bring it gradually to the boil and then simmer it for 5 minutes. Let the water cool down, remove the belt and refit it.
Closed Thread