UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jun 2009, 2:29 pm   #1
Paulus.d
Hexode

Default Beloved Tandberg Series 15

I very recently got one of these and settled down to a nice day of refubishment. Apart from the usual fixes - crackly pots,recording switch, track changing switch, it looks sweet - even the belt is working - wow

After cleaning I tested it - I'd had it playing before hand at low volume before it was cleaned because the volume control was stuck, almost glued. Now, on turning up the volume, and not too much, the amplifier goes into, what I could describe as motorboating - it goes b-b-b-b-b and the pilot light on the tape counter dims.

Any idea what this is? I've been waiting sooooooooo long for one of these to become available as I had one in the past.

Please HELP

Paul

Last edited by Station X; 14th Jun 2009 at 8:20 am. Reason: Disguised eBay reference removed.
Old 12th Jun 2009, 2:32 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Beloved Tandberg Series 15

At a guess, capacitors. Coupling caps as a further guess.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 12th Jun 2009, 2:33 pm   #3
Paulus.d
Hexode

Such a quick reply, steve

Power supply PCB? Yes
Old 12th Jun 2009, 2:38 pm   #4
Steve_P
Dekatron

Maybe, or Amplifier section.

Is there a circuit anywhere that I can refer to. I'm going out now getting a car, will be back later on.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 12th Jun 2009, 5:49 pm   #5
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Paul are you talking about volume when replaying a tape? If so check it in the amplifier &/or record position, let us know. To me it sounds like switch trouble but your results will confirm or deny my thoughts.

Colin.
Old 12th Jun 2009, 6:22 pm   #6
Paulus.d
Hexode

The machine is in playback with a known good tape, recorded on my Elizabethan LZ34. In record, there's a pop noise as the lever is moved, the VU meter needle jumps then it settles down into silence.

In AMP mode again there's a pop then silence - even if you turn the volume full.

The 'fault' only seems to appear on playback, as it's a 15-41 on tracks 1-4 and 2-3. Reducing the 'BASS' level seems to decrease the effect. If you turn it up full on bass and volume the noise goes B-B-B-B the counter lamp almost goes off! When I got this unit the record lamp was out - the bulbs blown - could this have anything to do with it?

I had one of these in the past, and I kind of remember it did the same thing, leading to an inexperienced teenager stripping the thing, re soldering all the joints, directly soldering wires to the circuit boards and mucking it up completely!!!!

I have looked at the CAP values on the power amp pcb> All of the big ones are 1000uF but different voltages. The one on the transformer is 0.1uF @1000v (smoothing cap?)

It's been a long time since I've played with standard mount components - my last job was in charge of a Surface Mount line making PCBS all Day.........

Best wishes Paul
Old 12th Jun 2009, 7:02 pm   #7
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Apart from the head pre amp, all would appear to be OK so that rules out problems with the power or output sections .

I would still check the switches, track /function.

Colin.
Old 12th Jun 2009, 7:15 pm   #8
Paulus.d
Hexode

Can you please explain the reasoning behind the diagnosis? - sorry to be a pain but I've cleaned the switches a couple of times now....

Paul
Old 12th Jun 2009, 9:17 pm   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I've certainly had several cassette decks that have motorboated horribly because the record/play switch was intermittent.

A dose of Servisol and operating it rapidly a few dozen times almost always sorts it.

Good luck,
Nick.
Old 12th Jun 2009, 9:33 pm   #10
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

As above Paul.

I don't know how you have cleaned the switches but they also need lubrication, failing that solution you need some expert attention.

Colin.
Old 12th Jun 2009, 9:42 pm   #11
Steve_P
Dekatron

The lights in the meters go off and it is affected by the tone controls. I'd still suspect the power supply.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 13th Jun 2009, 2:10 pm   #12
Paulus.d
Hexode

Unhappy Re: Beloved Tandberg Series 15

Have rechecked the rec/play/amp switch again, this involved pulling a couple of plugs and unclipping the contacts off. Cleaned with slightly abrasive paper and polished up the contacts - guess what? found 1 top hat contact missing! I thought thats it!! FIXED!! however found it in the bottom of the case, replaced it plugged it all back, switch on.......still B-B-B-B dimming lights!
Tried unplugging speaker, changing speaker, switching to external - still the same.

Paul
Old 13th Jun 2009, 2:15 pm   #13
Steve_P
Dekatron

Right. Do a capacitor change. This is some sort of feedback and my guess is Coupling or Decoupling caps. Do a resolder and check the PSU.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 13th Jun 2009, 4:46 pm   #14
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

You may well be right Steve but before he starts on that "journey" might I ask if it is the same on all three speeds? Have you cleaned, lubricated the speed change switch ?

Colin.
Old 13th Jun 2009, 9:16 pm   #15
Paulus.d
Hexode

Yep - it's the same on all 3 speeds, no change as far as the motorboating

But some more information for you - as the volume is increased, it first begins to hum then the hum subsides into the B-B-B sound. If you play the tape as you do this, it plays normally up to about 4 on the volume scale then humming starts, as you approach 5-6 then B-B-B and heavy distortion is present on the music. If the bass control is then turned down the B-B-B subsides slightly and the volume increases.

I might have a way out of this though - a mate of my son's, on visting today recognised it immediately and on questioning has 2 busted tandbergs at home - he says the're indentical. He also has some proper switch cleaner ( all I had was some very old CPC stuff I nicked from work about 2 years ago and some methylated spirit!)

So hopefully I can swap parts and get 1-2 working....

Best wishes Paul
PS thanks for your input guys, it's good to have people who know stuff about this!!!
Old 13th Jun 2009, 9:17 pm   #16
Paulus.d
Hexode

sorry quick question - lubricate with what??
Old 13th Jun 2009, 9:49 pm   #17
Steve_P
Dekatron

Servisol will do.

Go on, do some soldering, you never know. If you've got a 'new' supply of parts, why not try. You never know...

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 13th Jun 2009, 10:36 pm   #18
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Paul,
Just looking at your earlier post, you say it is OK on record/amp , did you try a recording & monitor the input using the volume control at a similar level or did you just switch to rec/amp The same with the amplifer position, an input & volume level as you describe for play, see if your problem arises on these tests

Colin.
Old 14th Jun 2009, 8:36 am   #19
julie_m
Dekatron

If it hums at low volume settings and becomes unstable at high volume settings, that sounds very much like a power supply issue. Something's asking for more current than the power supply can provide; and the supply is first losing smoothing, then collapsing altogether. If you've a 'scope, look at the power rail. Check the smoothing capacitor(s), the rectifier diodes and the mains transformer. A diode going O/C means the supply will be reduced to half-wave; a S/C means the supply will be half-wave and the transformer will get hot.
Old 14th Jun 2009, 9:29 am   #20
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Could be stabbing in the wrong direction here because I don't know this machine or have a cct for it, but by what you are saying I have to say it sounds like the machine is solid state and that it sounds like (as Steve P has said) leaky coupling caps or something very similar.

By increasing the volume it sounds like that somehow the bias to the output stage is being upset and the more you increase volume the more current is flowing through the stage continuously, this is putting undue load on the power supply (from which the pilot lamp is fed) causing it to cut in/out giving your dimming lamp symptoms and B B B B B B noise through the speaker!

Of course I could be completely wrong but I think I would start with cap testing.

Cheers