UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st May 2018, 7:50 pm   #1
ckbrooks
Retired Dormant Member

Default Uher 4000 modern battery pack

Hello there,

Could anyone point me in the direction of a suitable battery pack for a Uher 4000 report?

I’ve got the z124 and know that I need a grey lead or a red lead depending on which type of battery I go for.

What would be best for me these days? I’d like to go out and do some field recording, secure in the knowledge that the machine won’t slow down and act up as it did very quickly indeed when I was trying it with Duracell D Cells.

With kind regards

Clive
Old 2nd May 2018, 11:00 am   #2
camtechman
Nonode

Default Re: Uher 4000 modern battery pack

One lead is for the old NiCad type, the other lead is for a Lead Acid type.

No point looking for the NiCad type, if you were to see one for sale, even if were NOS it would knackered, go for the Lead Acid type, which is the Z212 in Uher's user manual.

You should be able to find one on eBay. The last one I got for £15 new.

Last edited by camtechman; 2nd May 2018 at 11:06 am.
Old 2nd May 2018, 12:02 pm   #3
barrymagrec
Octode

I seem to remember that the lead acid battery was quite reliable and gave adequate running time for a day or more of interviews and suchlike. Uses a grey charging lead if I remember correctly. (I may not, it was all over forty five years ago).

I never saw a NiCad set up.

When using the mains psu as an external charger it pays not to stand it on a metal surface....
Old 2nd May 2018, 4:51 pm   #4
barretter
Heptode

You can buy an equivalent to the Z212 (3.2A at 6V) from SDS-Uher in Germany for 14.28 Euros plus post (probably a bit dear as they are heavy) or you can use a Yuasa NP2.8-6 which will fit once you have hammered the contacts flat. They cost between £15-16 from various suppliers (not RS!).
Old 2nd May 2018, 5:05 pm   #5
barretter
Heptode

In fact if you look eBay you will find Yuasas cheaper than that and also another brand, Ultramax which offers 3.2AH at 6V for £9 including postage (same physical size). I have no experience of them.
Old 2nd May 2018, 5:12 pm   #6
ckbrooks
Retired Dormant Member

Do the Yuasa batteries just happen to have the contacts in the right place for fitting into the Uhers? Is it just a coincidence or is there some sort of standard size?

How long does the charging take to complete, and how does one know when it is?

Thanks for everything so far.

Clive
Old 2nd May 2018, 5:55 pm   #7
barretter
Heptode

They're all a standard size, mostly used in burglar alarms, apparently. I don't know how long a Uher power supply would take to charge one. I usually use a car-battery charger and it takes a couple of hours or so.
Old 3rd May 2018, 11:24 am   #8
Station X

Some posts edited to comply with forum rules and some posts deleted as no longer needed.

Please stay on topic.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 7th May 2018, 5:13 pm   #9
ckbrooks
Retired Dormant Member

Can I charge the yuasa battery using the uher z124 a1 with the yuasa still in the machine? And how do a I know when it is properly charged? Do I simply keep turning the machine on and pressing the battery charge indicator on the VU meter to see how it is progressing? How long does a charge take and does it cut off automatically to avoid overcharging?

Sorry about all the questions, and thank you in advance for any answers!

Clive
Old 7th May 2018, 5:34 pm   #10
barrymagrec
Octode

Yes, you charge the battery in situ.

If I remember correctly there is a small green indicator light on the charger, this will go out when the battery is fully charged.

This indicator is a small wire ended lamp and they can blow although the charger will still operate (I think).
Closed Thread